Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome3 PPA is getting ready

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome3 PPA is getting ready

Quote Originally Posted by shaneo1 View Post
    I like gnome 3 as well but I've lost my task panel at the top and can't reset it using alt f2 , then r, is there another way?
    You could try ALT F2 and type gnome-shell --replace,so the shell will start again.
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans

I went over to Arch Linux for a little to try the gnome-shell. Pretty good, but window switching is a little annoying. I like the notifications, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Has anyone here managed to share a folder in gnome 3? I still can't figure out how to do it :/ In regular Ubuntu you just right click and then choose share.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    Has anyone here managed to share a folder in gnome 3? I still can't figure out how to do it :/ In regular Ubuntu you just right click and then choose share.
    I installed the Samba Server Configuration Tool. You have to create the shares there instead of via Nautilus but it's simple and works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Does anyone know of a guide,howto or trustworthy ppa to get the network-manager 0.9 for ubuntu? It's not in the gnome3-team ppa, probably due to dependency hell?

Or do you guys think it's going to be there after the natty release? Am going to stick with gnome3. It's just smooth as a hot knife - no a lightsabre though butter.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I installed the Samba Server Configuration Tool. You have to create the shares there instead of via Nautilus but it's simple and works fine.
    I added the three folders I wanted to share and made them visible and accessible to all. Yet I couldn't connect to my network at all on my laptop. Maybe I'll try a reboot... and play around a bit.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Up to this point I have still been unable to install the user-theme extension for gnome-shell-extensions from git and I have not seen anyone else mention that they have been able to do this successfully. I always get the same makefile error. However, I found a way to install it and thought I would pass this along. I noticed that on Fedora there is a gnome-shell-extension-user-theme rpm package available. I downloaded the package, converted it to a .deb package via alien and was able to successfully install it.

for example, there is a Fedora 15 version and a Fedora 16 version of the build here (for both 32bit and 64bit):
    https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgd...99cc144754ace8

assuming you grab the one for Fedora 15, download it to /home/yourname/Downloads (doesn't matter where), you would enter the following 3 commands:

Code:
    cd Downloads
    sudo alien gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme-3.0.0-5.6d56cfgit.fc15.noarch.rpm --scripts
    sudo dpkg -i gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb
    Done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t.rei View Post
    Does anyone know of a guide,howto or trustworthy ppa to get the network-manager 0.9 for ubuntu? It's not in the gnome3-team ppa, probably due to dependency hell?

Or do you guys think it's going to be there after the natty release? Am going to stick with gnome3. It's just smooth as a hot knife - no a lightsabre though butter.
    You can find it in ricotz/staging:
    https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/staging

I use it since some days without problems. To activate the network indicator remember to install also the package gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by M4570D0N View Post
    Up to this point I have still been unable to install the user-theme extension for gnome-shell-extensions from git and I have not seen anyone else mention that they have been able to do this successfully. I always get the same makefile error. However, I found a way to install it and thought I would pass this along. I noticed that on Fedora there is a gnome-shell-extension-user-theme rpm package available. I downloaded the package, converted it to a .deb package via alien and was able to successfully install it.

for example, there is a Fedora 15 version and a Fedora 16 version of the build here (for both 32bit and 64bit):
    https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgd...99cc144754ace8

assuming you grab the one for Fedora 15, download it to /home/yourname/Downloads (doesn't matter where), you would enter the following 3 commands:

Code:
    sudo alien gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme-3.0.0-5.6d56cfgit.fc15.noarch.rpm --scripts
    sudo dpkg -i gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb
    Done.
    I tried it and got a couple of errors ......

Code:
    keith@keith-Aspire-7730ZG:~/Downloads$ sudo alien gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme-3.0.0-5.6d56cfgit.fc16.noarch.rpm --scripts
    [sudo] password for keith: 
    Use of uninitialized value $postinst in length at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Deb.pm line 750, <GETPERMS> line 5.
    gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb generated
    keith@keith-Aspire-7730ZG:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme.
    (Reading database ... 397501 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme (from gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb) ...
    Setting up gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme (3.0.0-6.6) ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
    No such key `exit-with-last-window' in schema  `org.gnome.nautilus.preferences' as specified in override file  `/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/nautilus.gschema.override'; ignoring  override for this key.
    keith@keith-Aspire-7730ZG:~/Downloads$
    The option Shell Theme is now open and available for use though ..... it was yellow before and not selectable .........

One more step in the right direction ...... good one (M4570) Don .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 27th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Just tried all that, mine is still yellow !
    Must have done something wrong as usual !!!

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast