View Poll Results: What would YOU Recommend for me?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple iPad

12 15.00%
  • Android Tablet

39 48.75%
  • Forget it and stick to my laptop

29 36.25%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: Apple iPad Or Android Tablet?

Beans

Question Question: Apple iPad Or Android Tablet?

Hi Guys, Long time no see,

I was thinking about getting either an "Apple iPad" or an Tablet running Google's "Android" Operating system to replace my laptop with for school as I use my laptop for school by taking notes down, doing school work and Projects on it and online research.

the reason Why I was considering this is because I wanted something lighter to carry around with me instead of a big bulky laptop on my desk when I could use something lighter.

If you say an Android Tablet, A recommended Tablet would be appericated, If you believe that I should stick to my laptop, feel free to give reasons.

Please vote on the poll, I will close it on the 12th of April.

Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear a response soon.

Beans

Re: Question: Apple iPad Or Android Tablet?

A friend of mine just got an Android tablet, and it was pretty underwhelming really. Many of his apps were not made for the large screen and just used a phone sized window in the middle of the large tablet. Also some didn't work at all. I'm sure Google will get that all straightened out with time though. I'd really recommend just getting a netbook if you plan to do much typing on it. Plus you can run a traditional OS which will be better for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Neither, I would get the HP Touchpad powered by webOS. It is built on a lot of open technology (and HP seems seriously invested in building a community around webOS). WebOS has what is perhaps the best design for multitasking and task oriented workflows.

It is for my money the only interesting tablet on the market (or rather as it is, really close to market).
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Question: Apple iPad Or Android Tablet?

Android, as it's such a far better choice. I really want a Motorola XOOM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'd go for the iPad 2. Its a nice step up from the original, and nothing really compares to it yet.

I'm sure Google will get that all straightened out with time though.
    The difference I'm seeing is that Apple came out of the gate strong, and on the other hand everyone wants to give Google time to catch up to Apple. To me, that says Apple put a lot more thought and time in creating a good tablet experience. I've got high hopes for Honeycomb, but the Xoom hasn't impressed me at all.
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If your primary purpose is note-taking, a little nine-inch netbook would make the most sense. You could also split the difference.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

If you want a tablet, then Android Tablet for sure. It's far superior to the the Apple iPad. And @gnomeuser's post, the head UI designer for WebOS (the one that actually designed the great multi-tasking) now works for Google on the Android project. Here is a few main reasons I would recommend you get an Android Honeycomb powered tablet:

- You actually get a user interface, and a nice and useful one at that where you can put a lot of useful widgets
    - Much better multi-tasking
    - You can actually use a file browser... and some pretty damn advanced ones at that.
    - You don't have to go through iTunes for everything, i.e. you really have the freedom to do whatever you want
    - Another note on the above, you can playback a much larger variety of different video/picture/audio file formats without having to convert them through iTunes.
    - It becomes better the longer you have it, on my cell phone I started at Sense 2.1, switched to Sense 2.2, then to AOSP 2.2 then to AOSP 2.3 then to AOSP 2.3.3 and changed launchers several times since I got my phone late September, it's like I got a new phone 5+ times with new features, better performance, new looks and its fun. And you aren't required to change that much if you don't want to. iPad doesn't get updated that often, never really changes.
    - Like GNU/Linux distributions, it allows huge amounts of customization ability if you choose to do so. You can actually make your Tablet personal rather than an over-simplified generic design.
    - I can't remember the exact numbers, but about 58% of Android apps are free while only around 17-20% of iOS apps are free (I've surprisingly seen the same apps on Android for free while they are paid on iOS).
    - Android dethroned Symbian's 10 year rein as #1 on the market, it's just growing really fast with a lot of supporters.
    - There are plenty of different builds of Android on XDA where you can install a build that more suits you if you want
    EDIT: - I completely forgot to mention one huge thing: Flash 10.2 support! You can view all the content of the Internet just like your desktop.

I guess I'll stop naming things but those are a few major points. As of which one to get, if you aren't in a rush. I suggest getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab II that's coming out during the summer (early July I believe). It's priced at 499$ in the US for 16GB Wi-Fi version for a 10.1". It also has a better screen resolution, its thinner and weighs less than the iPad 2. Full 1080p RECORDING and PLAYBACK.
    Last edited by akand074; April 5th, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 on the netbook or a netbook/tablet convertable. All the apps you already love easily accessible, with a physical keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

viewsonic g tablet. you can get it for about $300 right now. runs a crappy rom but over at xda there is a ton of options to help choose a new one like Vegan-tab or cyangenmod.

the g tab also runs the same tegra 2 chip as the moto xoom which cost over twice as much. the only downside is the sceen but at the price you get over the limitation quickly.

if you need to do work for school though get a laptop. tables cant replace things like word processing and long typing sessions

Beans
    Distro

A video demo of the Touchpad and webOS from a recent HP event. If after watching it you do not want one more than air, see a doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-Agrjaq_Q

Honestly so much thought has been put into how things should work in webOS, it might be that the lead designer is now with Google working on Android but he still have no been able to make any major improvements to the experience (and demos of devices running Honeycomb still look far more complicated and cluttered than webOS's stunning elegance).

HP seem determined to push webOS for all it is worth. The Touchpad along with the Pre3 and the Veer coming this year, next year every computer shipped by HP will be capable of running webOS. They are heavily invested in it, and for good reason, it is probably the single best designed user experience available today. It builds on decades of Palm's industry leading experience and an open foundation based on Linux (admittedly there are proprietary components but I feel happy labelling webOS as open for the most part).
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast