Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott!

Beans

Re: Boycott!

Unity is (and is only going to get more) awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

We should start a new cult: Unity Force! obey or perish!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, one of the key things about Linux is that the end user can modify it to a great extent. I would not be at all surprised, if one could convert Ubuntu to Arch without even reinstalling the entire OS at once, just changing most of the packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ElSlunko View Post
    Unity is (and is only going to get more) awesome.
    What, because the bible says so?
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    Haha, yeah, it's like the fact that Eminem isn't a real rapper. He's not a fake rapper, he just takes away what used to constitute hip-hop music and replaces it with homophobic sexist junk.
    What the hell, you start with wanting to boycott Ubuntu and calling it a "fake" OS to Eminem? Why not just install and configure your own Ubuntu look? Why must I boycott a good, stable Linux distro just because its getting some new kicks? Linux is open source for a reason, you can make Ubuntu look and feel however you like! You don't need any of this boycotting!

Beans
    Distro

No, because people are putting effort in it!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus View Post
    What the hell, you start with wanting to boycott Ubuntu and calling it a "fake" OS to Eminem? Why not just install and configure your own Ubuntu look? Why must I boycott a good, stable Linux distro just because its getting some new kicks? Linux is open source for a reason, you can make Ubuntu look and feel however you like! You don't need any of this boycotting!
    You totally missed my point, but might have been partly my fault.

I'm pissed at Ubuntu because they're 'bug #1' is that they want more users. So, they need to make a distro that is stable (as you say it is already). However, part of being stable is not constantly changing stuff around, and of course alot of people will agree that Unity is very hard to use. Well I certainly found it impossible to use. I just think that they either need to get a longer release cycle, or stop trying to make such big 'refreshments' with each release.

That, and the fact I believe Unity is a piece of *** anyway. Just my opinion there.

I'm not criticising Linux, I'm using Arch at the moment and love it - it's on a rolling release cycle, so you don't upgrade and suddenly get a whole new load of crap to deal with. It's always the newest version.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

Because I said so.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ElSlunko View Post
    Because I said so.
    But that is just your opinion.

Beans

How is something in Linux suppose to develop and improve without release and testing done by it's users? It's got 6 months and some change to become stable.

If no one uses it, how is it suppose to get better?

But yeah, you're right. Instead of having everything built in that I end up installing anyways into Ubuntu, like a fast launcher and aggregating my programs and data in a neat and concise manner, I'd rather go through the trouble of installing 5 different apps that are at developing at different speeds and sometimes get slowed down to a trickle of progress.

It isn't pretty though, I'll give you that -- but the structure for something useful is there.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast