Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google "App Inventor"; if you haven't tried it, you really ought to!

Beans

Google "App Inventor"; if you haven't tried it, you really ought to!

I have just been playing with Google's amazing "App Inventor" - the online IDE for the Android mobile OS. I often struggle to code apps using Eclipse/Xcode etc, but within the last 24 hours, using *only* "App Inventor", I have made these:

1/ An app which makes a cat meow when you press a button.

2/ An app which makes a noise when you shake the handset.

3/ An app which scans a barcode, and displays the decoded string in plain text.

4/ An app which listens to your voice, and then displays what you said (hopefully ) in plain text on the screen and the TTS engine reads it back to you.

App Inventor is merely blocks of logic, that look like jigsaw pieces, that you snap together in a Java applet, and a web page upon which you drag your UI and hidden elements.

If you think you can't create apps, think AGAIN!

Preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ADwPLSFeY8

Now, go create something!

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com

(Google/Gmail account needed)

I wish you all the best - just want to encourage anyone who has a good idea, but is confused by lines & lines of code.
    Last edited by youbuntu; April 4th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Google "App Inventor"; if you haven't tried it, you really ought to!

Those examples are rather limited though, they are no more than if-else statements and API calls. I don't think we'll be out of work anytime soon with this app creator

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by simeon87 View Post
    Those examples are rather limited though, they are no more than if-else statements and API calls. I don't think we'll be out of work anytime soon with this app creator
    They're hardly limited, they enable people to access extremely powerful APIs, with no coding experience AT ALL! I could never write a barcode scanning app in ten mins, if at all. I am not saying it is a replacement for Java or the SDK. My point is that this DOES enable people, and exposes Android OS to a far wider creative audience, which can only be a positive thing for the platform.

It's not ALL about making money - some people just want to learn, but lines of code confuse and frustrate them sometimes (me!). They may be limited, but you cannot deny... they do work!

I'm sure I am going to have many "proper coders" sneering down their noses at me for having created this thread. Never mind eh

PS: "Lego" may be basic, and you would never build a house from it... but it gets you started, right?
    Last edited by youbuntu; April 4th, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glossywhite View Post

It's not ALL about making money - some people just want to learn, but lines of code confuse and frustrate them sometimes (me!).
    Then what have they/you learned from this?

There's no learning involved if a tool does all the work automagically for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    Then what have they/you learned from this?

There's no learning involved if a tool does all the work automagically for you.
    Learn logic, and structures of logic. Yes?

Some people won't even want or need to learn, just rapid prototype an app and sell it. A builder can build you a house, so you can sell it and make money; you don't need to know how he does it, as long as it is done, and you have a house which is functional and which you can sell.

I can build a wall from bricks, and then I have a wall. I don't need to know anything about the clay which was used in the bricks or how to fire them, so long as the wall stands, right?
    Last edited by youbuntu; April 4th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ohh, that thing allows for non-programmers play a little. It is next to useless for a above ridiculous to large sized projects.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cgroza View Post
    Ohh, that thing allows for non-programmers play a little. It is next to useless for a above ridiculous to large sized projects.
    If you don't like it, fair enough. Well who has said it was meant for larger projects? We are not ALL expert programmers (btw, an expert would know that the thing that gets the job done with the least effort and hassle, is best ) and if it gets a job done, all is well. We're not all perfectionists

There will always be a favorite way of doing things, and people get stuck in their ways. There is no "wrong" or "right" here - if it works to solve a problem and knock up a functional app, then everyone's happy. How could the average user tell the difference?

PS: Maybe you should abandon Java & Eclipse/<Insert IDE here>, and code your apps in assembley, seeing as that would be the "proper" way to do it, coming from a purists perspective... right?
    Last edited by youbuntu; April 5th, 2011 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by glossywhite View Post
    If you don't like it, fair enough. Well who has said it was meant for larger projects? We are not ALL expert programmers (btw, an expert would know that the thing that gets the job done with the least effort and hassle, is best ) and if it gets a job done, all is well. We're not all perfectionists

There will always be a favorite way of doing things, and people get stuck in their ways. There is no "wrong" or "right" here - if it works to solve a problem and knock up a functional app, then everyone's happy. How could the average user tell the difference?

PS: Maybe you should abandon Java & Eclipse/<Insert IDE here>, and code your apps in assembley, seeing as that would be the "proper" way to do it, coming from a purists perspective... right?
    OK, I do not like it. But that does not mean I want to do things in assembly! It simply does not offer the flexibility a real world useful thing requires. So, it can make a cat meawn, and set some button events, but can it iterate over complex arrays and compute them with a complex algorithm which are involved it that "functional" app you mentioned before?
    Last edited by cgroza; April 5th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Show me one decent app made with this thing that isn't trivial or childish. Also, this won't take off.

If people create an App but an unforeseen bug pops up, exactly how are they going to support it or fix it if they have no clue how their app actually works.

This is a bad idea on so many levels.

Beans

lot of cranky in here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast