Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up/Sync Utility w/ Schedule and Network Access?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Back up/Sync Utility w/ Schedule and Network Access?

What's a good back up utility with a scheduling feature that can back up to a network hard drive? I'm backing up to an NTFS formatted external that is connected to my router and I would like the files to be backed up individually so they can be browsed by other PCs (Windows & Linux) on my network, as opposed to a disc image or archive like some back up programs.
    Q6600 Quad Core @2.4GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR1066 DDR2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Back up/Sync Utility w/ Schedule and Network Access?

I think you may have to use two applications for this. The first could be a backup utility such as rsync. So create a script that uses rsync to write to your external drive. Then use crontab to schedule that script to run every X hours.

Beans
    Distro

I tried grsync which is a GUI front end for rsync but I can't navigate to my network HD to choose it as a destination. I get a open/save dialog browser window that has the Places side bar but it only shows local devices and bookmarked folders. I have a bookmark already created for the network drive too but it doesn't show up.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, have you mounted the network hard drive yet? That drive won't show up for you in places unless you've mounted it. It sounds like you have a NAS if it's connected to the router.

There are two ways you can do this - you can either have that NAS mounted all the time, or you can only mount it when you run your script. It's your preference, really.

Assuming you go for the always-mounted option, that means you'll need to add an entry to your /etc/fstab file. You'll find a lot of threads talking about how to do this but here's one.

Beans
    Distro

It's not technically a NAS device because it only has USB but my router has a USB port (Netgear Readyshare) and it is currently mounted. I can access it in Nautilus and have read/write access. I don't have it set to automount yet but I rarely restart my machine and I'd rather get the backup working first before I mess with fstab.

Beans
    Distro

If you browse to it in Nautilus and press Ctrl+L, do you get the path in the address bar? You could copy that path and paste it into the grsync app you mentioned earlier.

Beans
    Distro

Didn't know about the cntrl+L trick. Thanks! That will come in helpful again in the future I'm sure. I got a little further but still having a problem. I input the destination folder location using the path from Nautilus when I pressed cntrl+L and got this error when I ran a simulation:

*** Launching RSYNC command (simulation mode):
    rsync -r -n -t -v --progress -s /home/droid/Desktop smb://readyshare/wd2tb/Droid_BackUp

ssh: Could not resolve hostname smb: Name or service not known
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
    Rsync process exit status: 255

BTW, if anyone knows of a different program for syncing/back up, I'd like to try others as well. I started setting up Crash Plan and thought it was going to be perfect for what I needed but it turns out that it's back ups are stored in some proprietary format that can't be browsed.

Beans
    Distro

I use Syncback in Windows and I really like the interface so I'd like to find something like it. I just found sbackup so I'm going to give it a try.

Beans
    Distro

Sbackup also uses compression and archiving so the back up is not browsable. I'm thinking it might be easier to just copy the folders manually and choose overwrite all for the changes then manually delete any files that I had removed from the source.

I'm trying to keep a back up of music and pictures. If I move folders around, rename files or delete them in the source, I would like this to be reflected in the destination. There has to be a simple program for this that has network access. I could live without a scheduling feature and run it manually if needed.

Beans
    Distro

OK, for the simulation you did, try using the IP address instead of the hostname. So it should be an IP address instead of 'readyshare'. Reason is, the error message indicates something of this nature

Could not resolve hostname smb: Name or service not known
    Do you happen to know an IP address for that share?

Edit: The IP address will most likely be the IP address of the router itself (for example, 192.168.0.1)
    Last edited by mendhak; April 5th, 2011 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast