Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which debian version should I install?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which debian version should I install?

I'm planning on installing debian to a spare partition I've got leftover from an ubuntu install I destroyed with some bad advice from the forums. Which version in particular would be the best for me if I like to have: A. Up to date and beta software, and B: a usable system (not too unstable or missing firmware blobs)?
    I had to do it.

Beans

Re: Which debian version should I install?

Debian is not the right distro if you like to have "up to date and beta software." Debian is a very stable and conservative distro. I think Ubuntu, Fedora, or Arch would be a better choice for your specific needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I know that it's fairly conservative, but I figure unstable should suit my purposes. I'm not a big fan of fedora, I can never manage to get arch installed correctly, and I want to try something other than ubuntu.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Debian Unstable is unstable (duh) and does not include nonfree "firmware blobs."

But give it a try if you like...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    ... I destroyed with some bad advice from the forums
    I suggest you seek advice from many places (websites, blogs, forums), and work out the "average answer" when doing potentially risky operations such as partitioning. I'm not sure I understand why you made that point. I apologise if I have misread this comment.

Maybe you'd be wise to practice on a spare drive which doesn't matter, in future, or steer clear of these risky adventures

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Debian Unstable is unstable (duh) and does not include nonfree "firmware blobs."

But give it a try if you like...
    Stable compared to other distros though. Eh. maybe I'll give fedora another shot. As for the accident, it was a thing with experimental video drivers. I could probably fix it in 30 seconds, but I'm extremely lazy.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Stable compared to other distros though. Eh. maybe I'll give fedora another shot. As for the accident, it was a thing with experimental video drivers. I could probably fix it in 30 seconds, but I'm extremely lazy.
    Therein lies your answer - don't be lazy, and learn how to fix things

Hehe

Beans

Debian Unstable might be more stable than some distros I suppose, but it's definitely not more stable than Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, etc.

Anyways if you are "lazy" then it is probably not a good choice. (No offense meant of course, you said it not me.) Debian Unstable updates 4x per day, and any one of those updates could break your system; you really need to stay on top of things. If you're looking for a really easy, low-maintenance distro, Ubuntu or Mint are your best choices, in my opinion.
    Last edited by snowpine; April 3rd, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

as always, grandpa debian has the topic pretty well covered
    http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Debian Unstable might be more stable than some distros I suppose, but it's definitely not more stable than Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, etc.

Anyways if you are "lazy" then it is probably not a good choice. (No offense meant of course, you said it not me.) Debian Unstable updates 4x per day, and any one of those updates could break your system; you really need to stay on top of things. If you're looking for a really easy, low-maintenance distro, Ubuntu or Mint are your best choices, in my opinion.
    By extremely lazy, I mean I've got my slack partition set up the way I like and I see little point in booting into the ubuntu partition now that all my data's recovered. Main thing I want is a partition for staying up to date. Slack's rock solid, but I've been itching to try gnome shell and kde 4.6. As for my adversity to using ubuntu, let's just say I dislike the general direction it's taken, and that the performance shift from using other distros to ubuntu is quite noticeable, particularly in the 3D area.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; April 3rd, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
    I had to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast