Thread: recover of windows and programs leaving other files and folders behind

Beans

recover of windows and programs leaving other files and folders behind

I have a toshiba laptop and want to start fresh without all the freezings and stallings. I have backed up the whole thing to external hd and i want to recover programs and windows can i do this and if so how. dont want personal info of previous owner on the machine.A private message would be good as i will probably forget how to get back in here......old timers....lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: recover of windows and programs leaving other files and folders behind

Hi and welcome to UF,

If you have everything you want backed up, you can just do a fresh install of Ubuntu. It comes with enough applications to get you started, and plenty more in software center and synaptic package manager if you need them.

Sorry, don't know much about recovering windows.
    Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: recover of windows and programs leaving other files and folders behind

Quote Originally Posted by padd_y17 View Post
    I have a toshiba laptop and want to start fresh without all the freezings and stallings. I have backed up the whole thing to external hd and i want to recover programs and windows can i do this and if so how. dont want personal info of previous owner on the machine.A private message would be good as i will probably forget how to get back in here......old timers....lol
    If you asking about MS Windows (not Ubuntu), then the answer is simple -- you can't. While you can save off settings, files, and personal data, there is no way to save off programs and reinstall from that. You have to reinstall programs from scratch -- every single one of them.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.