Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Worst PC disaster ever?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Worst PC disaster ever?

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    The guy who came to clean up could have used a non-MS utility to copy the files to floppies, which would have preserved the file names.

Stupidity was involved in this case on so, so many levels...
    Should have used dd (straight byte-for-byte copy)
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Excellent. Please keep well away from my computers though
    Will do, provided you don't spill water, coffee, beer, coke etc. on them. Computers tend not to like liquids

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by beercz View Post
    Will do, provided you don't spill water, coffee, beer, coke etc. on them. Computers tend not to like liquids
    Except for Thinkpads!
    You can spill a full mug of hot tea and sugar into them and they still kick! (see previous post). lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    Except for Thinkpads!
    You can spill a full mug of hot tea and sugar into them and they still kick! (see previous post). lol
    OK, OK!!!

Most computers (at the moment at least) tend not to like liquids.

Move on!!!

Beans
    Distro

was more of a joke than anything, really.
    but OK, "moving on!!!" lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    Well here are some equations:

power [watts] = voltage [volts] * current [amps]

This is why a small voltage but high current, as well as a high voltage but small current, can both kill you. Or why 500,000 volts at a 0.000004 amps will not kill you, or why 100 amps at 0.03V will not kill you.

I think there's a bit of confusion going down here guys.

In your example above, for 100A to flow at only 0.03V you'd have to have a resistance of 0.3mΩ. The human body's resistance would be measured in kΩ, so about a million times more than your example. A shock big enough to push 100A through you would have to be exceedingly high voltage.

Bottom line: it's the current that determines how dangerous a shock is. 100 amps will BBQ you every time. That's serious current, and you will not survive. The current is a function of the voltage and your resistance. If you consider your resistance to be (roughly) a constant then it basically comes down to:

more voltage = more current = more death

Of course, there's a lot more to it than that. The path the current takes matters, AC is more lethal than DC, and the resistance of a human isn't a constant, but you get the idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Paqman, cheers, that post cleared things up a bit
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I once formatted my 2TB backup drive as I was trying to use the usb disk creator to install Ubuntu on one of it's three partitions. I almost lost 500GBs of data (some of it on an encrypted drive at that) but testdisk and a little manual partition table tweaking saved my life
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

I've had a few disasters over the years.

My dad had bought a brand new Toshiba laptop with a Pentium 4 CPU and 1GB of RAM, he lets my little brother and me play Runescape on it with my little brother having a nice large bottle of soda right next to the laptop. I left the room to get a drink or something and what I find when I return is my little brother with a "OMG" face on and the laptop keyboard covered in soda, I flipped out and called for my dad whom was "wtf did you just do!?!?". Needless to say my little brother was punished and my dad never let him near that laptop for sometime...

Another disaster would be when my dad took me to work with him (this was two years ago), he owns and operates a computer tech company here in Da Burgh and I was in "training" to start a job soon. He let me into a large but cramped room with large server carts and towers lining the walls, all of which were on wheels. We proceed to the terminal and start getting to work on the servers, when my dad got up to get something he knocked over a server rack which made everyone go "OMG. WHAT IS HAPPENING!?" in the office. Turned out that was a important server which maintained the entire network, we spent another three days setting all that back up...thats what I call "training".

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567