Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtube video appears behind any pure black pixels on screen

Beans

Youtube video appears behind any pure black pixels on screen

Hey all. This is a really tough problem to describe, since I've tried to take screenshots of the problem but they show up normal.. If nobody understand what I'm talking about, then I'll try to post some pictures with my regular camera when it happens again

So lately I've noticed that if I play a youtube video, the video shows up behind any pure black pixels on my screen. As I type this, I can see the black pixels that make up the text, lines of the message window, etc, show the video playing. It's like the black pixels are just a window that you can see through to see the video playing

I opened VIM to work on a CS assignment, and since the background of my VIM theme is just flat black, the entire youtube video shows up clearly, with the text in VIM overlayed on top of it. It happens with a terminal open as well, since my terminal background is flat black.

The only way I've found to fix the problem is to do a full restart of Ubuntu, or to log out and lock back in. I've reinstalled flash, and it's made no difference. This happens with any program that has any sort of flat black pixels, and it makes no difference whether the video is or was playing in firefox, chrome, etc. After the video is finished, the effect remains with a glitchy still-image of the video and the screen that shows up once a video is over. Even if I close the video, the image stays there until I restart or log in/out.

I should add that it doesn't matter what program or window is open or what's behind the windows, it will still show up. I've tested it with a flat black desktop background, and it looks like the video is playing entirely on my desktop.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 if it matters, and have an Nvidia card.

Thanks everyone Like I said before, if it's not clear what's going on, I'll try to take some pictures of it happening and upload them, since the last time I tried to take a screenshot, the effect wasn't actually visible in the screenshot for some reason (Imagine trying to take a screenshot to show where a monitor's dead pixel is )
    Last edited by elsporko; April 2nd, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Youtube video appears behind any pure black pixels on screen

just got this problem. i'm new to ubuntu so i won't be much help to you.

Beans

Might be well worth your while to disable hardware acceleration for flash videos on youtube. Try right-clicking on a flash video, going to settings and un-checking the hardware acceleration option. Not a guarantee but it cures many odd flash related problems.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Tried disabling hardware acceleration like you'd mentioned, no luck :\ the problem occurred again a few minutes later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elsporko View Post
    Tried disabling hardware acceleration like you'd mentioned, no luck :\ the problem occurred again a few minutes later.
    In that case I am out of ideas .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi, i've got the same problem.

Remove the flash.
    Download and install it again, but this time use "Ubuntu Software Center".

I think that there's a problem with the official *.deb file, from Adobe wesbite.

Beans

This bug is irritating. It's really bad when the video was white. The text then turns white and is unreadable.
    It's like whatever Flash video was last played on the screen, it takes the place of anything purely black on the screen (even after the plugin and browser are closed).

Latest Flash installer from the Canonical repositories as well as the latest proprietary nVidia driver.
    Video Card: nVidia 9600M GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tamas413 View Post
    This bug is irritating. It's really bad when the video was white. The text then turns white and is unreadable.
    It's like whatever Flash video was last played on the screen, it takes the place of anything purely black on the screen (even after the plugin and browser are closed).

Latest Flash installer from the Canonical repositories as well as the latest proprietary nVidia driver.
    Video Card: nVidia 9600M GT
    Yeah it's very annoying! I cant even watch 360P youtube movies on my HD screen.... stutters so much because I had to disable hardware acceleration (atom 330 + ION here)
    Ah Media PC's with Ubuntu rock!

Beans
    Hidden!

KDE has been having similar problems with ATI cards, and I'm hearing that people had issues with Nvidia. Check out the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/764650

Also, the 10.3 flash plugin beta from Adobe labs has been helpful to some people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    KDE has been having similar problems with ATI cards, and I'm hearing that people had issues with Nvidia. Check out the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/764650

Also, the 10.3 flash plugin beta from Adobe labs has been helpful to some people.
    btw X doesn't crash here, for me flash only shows on ANY black...

Didn't know about that 10.3 flash gonna try that on my pc downstairs, I don't want to mess this one up it's running perfect
    Ah Media PC's with Ubuntu rock!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast