Thread: help! missing desktop top/bottom panels!

Beans

help! missing desktop top/bottom panels!

Ok, so i really do not know what i exactly did. i was supposed to log out, but while my cursor was moviing around, i got abit impatient and started clicking on the entire panel, which sorta led to to my anxiety.. both my top and bottom panels or taskbars are missing! (( i tried pressing alt + f2 or ctrl+ alt + f2 but nothing happened. i just cant seem to open the terminal using any shortcuts! i have absolutely no access to my applications. and its so awkward seeing no panel. someone please help ease my anxiety!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: help! missing desktop top/bottom panels!

Quote Originally Posted by luvc2b23 View Post
    Ok, so i really do not know what i exactly did. i was supposed to log out, but while my cursor was moviing around, i got abit impatient and started clicking on the entire panel, which sorta led to to my anxiety.. both my top and bottom panels or taskbars are missing! (( i tried pressing alt + f2 or ctrl+ alt + f2 but nothing happened. i just cant seem to open the terminal using any shortcuts! i have absolutely no access to my applications. and its so awkward seeing no panel. someone please help ease my anxiety!

http://www.troublefixers.com/restore...ntu-top-panel/

Method 2:

Panel Restore Script, save in browser, open containing folder, extract and then run
    Last edited by matt-fender; April 2nd, 2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: wrong link, corrected now.
    Get out of my way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question? Can you right click on your Desktop to open a list with the word create launcher in it? If you can do this ,then click on create launcher. For name, type terminal and for command type gnome-terminal. Click ok to add shortcut to desktop. Then, click on it.

If by chance, you can go into any folder via desktop, goto /usr/share/applications. You will see a icon for the terminal. Click on it to bring up the terminal
    Last edited by dcsoldschool53; April 2nd, 2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: editing what I had written

Beans

I also have both panels missing and can not recover them. After I installed Avant Window Navigator and rebooted my system, my top panel disappeared. I tried the recommended solution with no success:

gconftool-2 --shutdown
    rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
    pkill gnome-panel

I installed Avant Window Navigator using the following method:
    sudo apt-get remove avant-window-navigator avant-window-navigator-data awn-settings awn-applets-c-core libawn1 vala-awn && sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:awn-testing/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-trunk avant-window-navigator-data-trunk python-awn-trunk awn-settings-trunk awn-applets-python-core-trunk python-awn-extras-trunk awn-applets-python-extras-trunk awn-applets-c-core-trunk awn-applets-c-extras-trunk

sudo apt-get install dockmanager-daemon dockmanager

I am afraid if I un-install AWN, I will have no way to access my applications. Any suggestions????

UPDATE:
    My SOLUTION -- I somehow un-installed the gnome-panel application. "sudo apt-get install gnome-panel"
    Last edited by taylortwt; April 3rd, 2011 at 06:36 PM.