Thread: Difference between Serval and Gazelle

Beans

Difference between Serval and Gazelle

Just placed an order for a Serval, and was wondering (although I've obviously already made my decision) what the difference was between that and the Gazelle. Other than a few configuration options (video card and on more processor) the specs seem similar.

Is it just the screen (glossy/matte)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Difference between Serval and Gazelle

I thought it was mostly just the screen. Many people (such as myself) prefer a matte screen and I think this Gazelle release is a response to that demand

Beans

I had focused on the Serval because - at first glance - it seemed to have more configuration options. In the end I didn't get anything I couldn't have gotten with the Gazelle. I wonder if I should have given the screen more consideration.

Most of the screens I use are glossy (I don't really have glare issues in my office) so I'm sure I'll be fine with the Serval.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are a few differences. Apart from the possibility of upgrades and the screens, the Serval has the rubberized texture finish instead of the Gazelle's matte polycarbonate. It a bit soft, and helps with comfort over long periods of time while using the system.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!