Thread: Ethernet Cabling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ethernet Cabling Problem

Hi,

I have 2 pcs at home. I don’t have a switch so I can connect only one PC at a time to my adsl router/modem for internet access.

In the past I had successfully connected the two PCs (NIC to NIC) to each other using the same ethernet cable which was supplied with my dlink adsl modem.

Recently the motherboard of on of my PC went bad so I replaced it with a new one.

The problem is when I connect the two using the same Ethernet cable they won't connect. The lights on the Ethernet port won't light up.

I can still connect both of them to the adsl router (NIC to Router) (one at a time).

I am really confused.

Please reply.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; April 1st, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    MATE 16.04
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    GeForce GTX 650

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ethernet Cabling

Connecting two computers directly via their NICs is typically accomplished using a crossover cable. Similarly, there is sometimes a connection (or socket) on modems and switches for cascading similar appliances that is wired so that one can use a standard cable and obtain the same "crossover" connectivity.

To restore your computer-to-computer connectivity through their NICs, you could try using a crossover cable. Why it worked with the NIC on the old motherboard is a mystery, and there are too many unknowns to make a good guess that would be useful to you.
    OpenSUSE: Dell Inspiron 8600 and Gateway GT5678
    MacOS X 10.5.8 PowerBook G4 12"
    Linux user #: 501795

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
    Connecting two computers directly via their NICs is typically accomplished using a crossover cable. Similarly, there is sometimes a connection (or socket) on modems and switches for cascading similar appliances that is wired so that one can use a standard cable and obtain the same "crossover" connectivity.

To restore your computer-to-computer connectivity through their NICs, you could try using a crossover cable. Why it worked with the NIC on the old motherboard is a mystery, and there are too many unknowns to make a good guess that would be useful to you.

I have lots of wire at home.

All I need to buy are RJ45s.

I guess I will have to make a crossover cable.

Thanks for your reply.
    MATE 16.04
    Ram 4GB
    GeForce GTX 650

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I simply cut an Ethernet cable and rewired it down the middle to hook up my xbox...

It's not very pretty but it's a real quick hack.
    Shamelessly plugging my GLog! (GeekLog) in every post I can
    If your problem is solved, please do take the time to mention it and Mark the Thread as Solved!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by patryk77 View Post
    I simply cut an Ethernet cable and rewired it down the middle to hook up my xbox...

It's not very pretty but it's a real quick hack.
    I don't think that's safe thing to do. If ready made crossover cables are available locally where you live, I recommend you buy one.

Thanks for sharing the idea.
    MATE 16.04
    Ram 4GB
    GeForce GTX 650

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

+1 to GregBrannon
    Another option is to use a 4 port modem (Contact your service provider) and configure it in PPPoE mode.
    Registered linux user #518022