Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Greetings fellow Ubuntu users, developers and enthusiasts. I am interested in your opinion on Ubuntu haters (and haters in general). First a short background.
    I've been using Linux since 1998. I started with Red Hat. I've used countless distros (including Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Mepis, Slackware and more). Not only am I a user but I am also a developer.
    Now, in all of my years using Linux I have never gotten any "hate" for using any other distro. The moment I mention I actually like and enjoy using Ubuntu on a few machines I get endless hate from supposed "hardcore" FOSS enthusiasts. Now, if the hate towards Ubuntu was for legitimate reasons such as poor all around performance and software issues with the distro I would understand (afterall, what distro doesn't have their problems?) but it's not. The hate is towards the users. Both n00bs and gurus alike.
    Now, I understand the hacker culture (I've been a part of it for a long time) and I know that there is a general dislike of n00bs but don't hate on someone who actually knows their stuff just because they use what might be called a "n00b friendly" distro. If you ask me, Ubuntu is great. It is great for Linux and it is great for users.
    In a nutshell, I am sick of being disrespected and immediately discredited just for using (and recommending) Ubuntu now and then.

My question for you:
    Have you gotten any hate for using Ubuntu from the hacker community? If so, what was your response? Are you trying to help improve the "Ubuntu User Stereotype"?

Beans

Re: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

No, but I got hate from an obnoxious Gentoo user/Google Project Manager once. Interesting, given that Google (at the time at least) uses Debian for their server infrastructure...
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans

"If you have no critics, you’ll likely have no success." Malcom X

obviously there are also other reasons, but this one sounds to me the most plausible!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

the haters are just old, and want to keep linux all to themselves.

i admire their selfishness, therefore i don't argue it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    the haters are just old, and want to keep linux all to themselves.

i admire their selfishness, therefore i don't argue it.
    lol, that could possibly be one of the big reasons. Although I understand that mentality (in a way, I kind of miss the "Good 'ol days" when Linux was difficult to install ). But, at the same time you would think they would be excited that Ubuntu is making Linux available to a wider array of people. Afterall, we're all F/LOSS enthusiasts and developers and anything that keeps people away from bloated, under-performing proprietary software is a good thing in my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!

IMO Some people can't feel complete unless they have something to whine about. )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i hear numerous claims, one being, they don't contribute anything, or try this, this is how i learned.

the last one is a respectable statement, because it seems like they are reminiscing on how it used to be, maybe what they consider "the rite way" to learn.

i can only assume their meaning and intentions, "users of ubuntu have linux before them, yet they haven't a clue on how it works".

i don't think it's harmful in any way, we all know old folks to be grumpy

Beans
    Hidden!

^duplicate post, sorry
    Last edited by d3v1150m471c; March 31st, 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hmmmm that was interesting
    a linux user hate linux user for using linux rofl

and yeah i saw a lot in forums and in real life people who laugh at me because i use ubuntu not arch nor fedora or opensuse
    calling ubuntu noob distro
    Last edited by ctrlmd; March 31st, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As a distro hopper, Ubuntu rightly has a place in top Linux distro's. I think most haters are pissed that Ubuntu usually gets first class support from application developers.
    All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Linux is not Windows

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast