Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Beans

Re: Holy Wars and Ubuntu Haters

Currently Ubuntu is the only distribution that has a chance of becoming a mainstream OS. Ubuntu can do that, because in many ways Ubuntu is different. Now, different is both good and bad, depending on where you stand.

When I just wanted to use Linux for work without spending too much time thinking about it, Ubuntu was great. Eventually I got the ambition to not just use but also learn. I use Gentoo now and I don't see going to Ubuntu anytime soon. If you know what you are doing and you are willing to spend some time, Gentoo and Arch (and others) are better ... however, people mainstream users don't want to learn or care to spend time.

I really want Ubuntu to become mainstream. Ubuntu uses the Linux kernel, the more popular Ubuntu becomes, more and more companies develop drivers that can be used on any Linux distribution. My dream is to see big gaming developers make games for Xorg (or Wayland), so I can play them without wine. That is why I help on Ubuntu forums, I have Ubuntu in Virtual Box for reference when I try to help and I am currently downloading 11.04 beta to learn enough Unity to be able to help.

As for Canonical not providing, guess which fonts I use under Gentoo. Ubuntu fonts beat Liberation and they are available to anyone.

I got "hate" once, a Fedora user laughed at me for using the "wrong" Linux distro. I don't think he will laugh now if I show him Gentoo (although I am sure he would have something bad to say about it).

Beans

Mainstream != best/better, as I am sure you already deduced.

Beans

There will always be people who hate something that is popular.

I guess one reason for Ubuntu hating is that Ubuntu is just a layer to Debian. The Debian folk do alot of work and Ubuntu gets the credit.

It's very difficult for the other distros to compete if Ubuntu is getting all the attention.

I think Ubuntu will get alot more hate if Unity becomes default, it might even lose its status as the most pupular Linux distro if people switch to Fedora or Suse.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    It's snobbery. But my take on it is this:

Alot of really smart super-geeks worked really really hard for years to make Linux easy enough for simple non-geeky kids like me to use... and now they're complaining that "too many non-geeky kids are using Linux"?? Um, what did you think would happen? Was it not your intention to bring Linux to us ordinary folk?

Ubuntu was among the first to bring the awesomeness of mighty Debian Linux to us "little people." That alone has been a great benefit to Debian and to Linux in general. Perhaps the super-geeks are victims of their own success!

Oh well... too late now. Buy Elitists still have their own super-geeky distros they can brag about.

-Robin
    What makes you sure all the people with that attitude are developers and not just users?
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    It's snobbery. But my take on it is this:

Alot of really smart super-geeks worked really really hard for years to make Linux easy enough for simple non-geeky kids like me to use... and now they're complaining that "too many non-geeky kids are using Linux"?? Um, what did you think would happen? Was it not your intention to bring Linux to us ordinary folk?

Ubuntu was among the first to bring the awesomeness of mighty Debian Linux to us "little people." That alone has been a great benefit to Debian and to Linux in general. Perhaps the super-geeks are victims of their own success!

Oh well... too late now. Buy Elitists still have their own super-geeky distros they can brag about.

-Robin
    That's not the developers.

@RiceMonster. Guess we had the same thought in the same minute.
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 1st, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

I have yet to try unity, suffice to say I can't understand why it's there... but that is probably something I'll play with, once the RC comes out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    I think Ubuntu will get alot more hate if Unity becomes default, it might even lose its status as the most pupular Linux distro if people switch to Fedora or Suse.
    Most noobs will have hard time figuring out Fedora or Suse. Ubuntu targets users of Windows and Mac, not people that are already using Linux. The whole point of Unity is to make it as accessible as possible to MS and Apple clients.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What is the problem with those narrow minded old timers?
    I have totally switched from windows to Linux, I use a variety of distros, but I always fall back on Ubuntu for ease of use. I have to keep up to date on Ubuntu, since I have converted a few people from Windows to Ubuntu, including my wife. Non of those people have any skills what so ever when it comes to computers. I'm doing all the support, witch mainly comes down to upgrading to next distro. More and more people out there are learning Linux because of Ubuntu, and hopefully Linux can one day have an actual market share on the computer desktop.
    Personally, I do not care witch one of the distros become the most popular, as long as we can be a realistic alternative to Windows and MacOS.
    AMD Phenom II x6 2.8/3.3, 8 GB ram, GTX 550Ti 1024MB gfx, Xubuntu 13.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msandoy View Post
    What is the problem with those narrow minded old timers?
    I have totally switched from windows to Linux, I use a variety of distros, but I always fall back on Ubuntu for ease of use. I have to keep up to date on Ubuntu, since I have converted a few people from Windows to Ubuntu, including my wife. Non of those people have any skills what so ever when it comes to computers. I'm doing all the support, witch mainly comes down to upgrading to next distro. More and more people out there are learning Linux because of Ubuntu, and hopefully Linux can one day have an actual market share on the computer desktop.
    Personally, I do not care witch one of the distros become the most popular, as long as we can be a realistic alternative to Windows and MacOS.
    In my opinion, an OS or distro should not strive to be an alternative to another OS. It should be something unique that fits into a certain market, not just an OS for those who are sick of shelling out $100 every 5 years for Windows. That is my main criticism of Ubuntu, it tries to be an alternative rather than something that would appeal to veteran GNU/Linux users.
    Pentium Dual-Core 2.0ghz
    3GB RAM
    Intel 4500MHD
    Windows 7 Home Premium/Linux Mint Debian XFCE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hur Dur View Post
    In my opinion, an OS or distro should not strive to be an alternative to another OS. It should be something unique that fits into a certain market, not just an OS for those who are sick of shelling out $100 every 5 years for Windows. That is my main criticism of Ubuntu, it tries to be an alternative rather than something that would appeal to veteran GNU/Linux users.
    I hate to break it to you, but the whole point is that it's an alternative!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast