Thread: Can't access Ubuntu because i recently "re"installed windows

Beans

Unhappy Can't access Ubuntu because i recently "re"installed windows

about 6 months ago I installed Ubuntu because my Windows XP had been partially corrupted and was screwing up. One month ago I formated the drive XP was on and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on it; I couldn't dual boot so I looked online, found EasyBCD 2.0, installed it, and from what I can tell, I need GRUB on my Ubuntu side to be able to boot it, before this I didn't even know what GRUB was. I have absolutely no idea what to do...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can't access Ubuntu because i recently "re"installed windows

Are you sure that Ubuntu is still there and that Windows didn't overwrite it when it was being installed? I believe that may be what happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take a look here, scroll down to the section "Installing Windows after Ubuntu" and see if the instructions listed help you be able to dual boot again.

Here are the instructions on how to install GRUB2 from a LiveCD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dhjohnson View Post
    Are you sure that Ubuntu is still there and that Windows didn't overwrite it when it was being installed? I believe that may be what happened.
    I cant find the partition it is on from my windows side, but I used an Ubuntu 10.10 loader disk's "try Ubuntu" option and it was fully intact as far a I could tell.

Beans

I figured it out, Grub 2 is already on Ubuntu 10.10... I almost can't believe it was that simple...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tanuace View Post
    I cant find the partition it is on from my windows side, but I used an Ubuntu 10.10 loader disk's "try Ubuntu" option and it was fully intact as far a I could tell.
    The "Try Ubuntu" loads the Ubuntu image from the CD/DVD onto you computer to use in a "Live Environment". This is not actually an installed partition - anything you do here will not be saved for a future boot.

I think what the previous poster meant was if you right-click "My Computer" then select "Manage" then "Disk Management", if there a partition on your disk (that Windows can't read) that belongs to Ubuntu? Otherwise the reinstall could have used your entire disk and overwritten Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf167 View Post
    The "Try Ubuntu" loads the Ubuntu image from the CD/DVD onto you computer to use in a "Live Environment". This is not actually an installed partition - anything you do here will not be saved for a future boot.

I think what the previous poster meant was if you right-click "My Computer" then select "Manage" then "Disk Management", if there a partition on your disk (that Windows can't read) that belongs to Ubuntu? Otherwise the reinstall could have used your entire disk and overwritten Ubuntu.
    What I meant was, I found the partition that Ubuntu was on fully intact, not that I thought that the "try Ubuntu" was my partition. but, I figured out my problem and this post is coming from my Ubuntu partition.