Thread: Open Office problem

Beans

Open Office problem

No matter what I do, Open Office insists on rendering time as 00:00:00, instead of 00:00. It will change what I type to what it wants. Turning off word complete does nothing. Once I found a way around this, but it was not a permanent fix. The help section gives you formating codes but no instructions on how to use them. Can someone help?
    Why oh why can't Cross Over run Word Perfect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Open Office problem

I was perfectly able to run Wordperfect 5.1 on Dosbox.

That aside, it would help if you tell about the context. Is this in a table?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by whvw View Post
    No matter what I do, Open Office insists on rendering time as 00:00:00, instead of 00:00. It will change what I type to what it wants. Turning off word complete does nothing. Once I found a way around this, but it was not a permanent fix. The help section gives you formating codes but no instructions on how to use them. Can someone help?
    Why oh why can't Cross Over run Word Perfect?
    What version of WordPerfect are you trying to run?
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...e/?app_id=1736

WordPerfect doesn't have a great history with Wine AFAIK but perhaps codeweavers has figured it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No matter what I do, Open Office insists on rendering time as 00:00:00, instead of 00:00. It will change what I type to what it wants.
    OO wordprocessor, spreadsheet, presentation, or what please?

In OO wordprocessor: Insert - Fields - Time
    The time is inserted.
    R-Click the time field.
    Fields
    Edit as required.
    Note "Time Fixed" fixes the time at the time the field was created.
    "Time" inserts the current time, which is updated the next time the document is opened / printed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I was perfectly able to run Wordperfect 5.1 on Dosbox.

That aside, it would help if you tell about the context. Is this in a table?
    Yes, it was in a table. I type "7:00" (or 07:00) and it types "07:00:00".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    What version of WordPerfect are you trying to run?
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...e/?app_id=1736

WordPerfect doesn't have a great history with Wine AFAIK but perhaps codeweavers has figured it out.
    It is version 9. It will install, and I can actually get to the splash screen (you don't know how good I felt when I first saw that) but then an error message pops up and says "word perfect was not installed properly" Rats! I keep wondering it there is some file that isn't where WP thinks it is, and if I could copy it there manually, or perhaps lift the whole directory structure over from an old Winderz installation to the Cross Over (Wine) bottle?
    I also heard that V12 would work under Cross Over, so I downloaded it but no dice.
    Beyond that, I even have a disc of WP for Linux v.8, (even though I hear that 8.1 is the one I really need) but that would never install at all.
    I've tried many word processors, but WP is by far the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When you first log onto codeweavers.com and fill in the compatibility box, several versions of WordPerfect pop up. 9 is bronze, 11 & 12 are silver, X3 is gold. I haven't tried to install WP under wine or crossover but i've spent some time on WP's support forums watching threads about it. I recall that installing everybody's favorite browser I.E. before trying WP is critical. I don't recall if .net framework is required or not. I also remember something about disabling enhanced dialogs or WP under Wine will crash & burn. I also seem to recall that installing in a Win98 bottle works best. I think X3 is the last version of WP that would run under Win9X.

I've been using OO/LO because OO has a reputation for better MSO file compatibility and my office suite needs are pretty modest. After much development of MS Word and virtually no development of WP (I'm sure you know the tawdry history of Microsoft's involvement with Corel & WP) WP is still regarded as better for long document creation and management. It doesn't support unicode though which is a deal killer for many.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, it was in a table. I type "7:00" (or 07:00) and it types "07:00:00".
    I cannot reproduce that (but that could be my locale settings). However, turn of "number recognition" to avoid automatic changing of the input of numbers (right-click in table). To turn it of by default, change the option in Tools - Options.

Beans

Thanks. That seems to have done it. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Beans

The problem was the need to turn off "number recognition", somewhat buried in "options"