Thread: Cannot access CD tracks from command line

Beans

Cannot access CD tracks from command line

In Ubuntu 10.04 I played CDs from the command line, using gvfs. This was useful in many ways. I discovered that a CD in the drive caused a subdirectory to be created under ~/.gvfs, named "cdda mount on sr0/". So I created a symbolic link to this directory named "CD", and then I could address the cd contents as "CD/Track N.wav", and a series of tracks as "CD/Track {M..N}.wav". I could play, rip, or modify using SoX. Best of all, I could precede the PLAY command with a SLEEP, allowing me to go into the next room where my good speakers were placed before the music started.

But not so in Ubuntu 11.10. When a cd goes into the drive, nothing appears under the .gvfs directory. I have read everything I could find about gvfs. The documentation is very skimpy, and sometimes self-contradictory. I have tried using gvfs-mount, even gvfs-mkdir, but these attempts are guesswork, so I am not giving you the error messages at this time -- I don't even know if my commands make sense.

Can someone show me the correct way to access cd tracks as files on the command line in Ubuntu 11.10? I don't know whether the gvfs system is broken or has changed. My version of Ubuntu was bought with a magazine, so who knows if it was complete and accurate!

Beans

Re: Cannot access CD tracks from command line

Quote Originally Posted by jbarjoy View Post
    Can someone show me the correct way to access cd tracks as files on the command line in Ubuntu 11.10?
    I don't know about 'correct' but MPlayer might be one option for you:

Code:
    mplayer -cache 2048 -cache-min 80 cddb://
    There are many variations for this commandline but this is the basic one...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?