Thread: Multi-Monitor With Sandy Bridge HD3000 Mobile Graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Multi-Monitor With Sandy Bridge HD3000 Mobile Graphics

I want to buy a new Intel Sandy Bridge laptop such as this one. However, I have heard doubts about the maturity of Intel graphics drivers for Linux with the Sandy Bridge IGP. I am a student, and I am frequently connecting to and disconnecting from my HDMI hdtv in my room and also VGA projectors in classrooms. My current laptop has NVIDIA discrete graphics, and the driver works very well and predictably for me in this regard.

I need to know if the current Intel graphics drivers make switching between single and dual monitor configurations easy with the latest Sandy Bridge mobile IGP. Does anyone know? I'm using Maverick x64, and I'm not afraid of compiling my own 2.6.38 kernel from source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multi-Monitor With Sandy Bridge HD3000 Mobile Graphics

bump?

Beans

And feedback on performance would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm interested to this topic too: my asus p5n-em hdmi is failing and an upgrade to sandy bridge, with dual head setup, is on top of the possible replacements list.

Unfortunately this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/732304 strengthen doubts about multi monitor maturity.

If someone has on-the-road experiences, please share them!

Beans

Hi,

I've got nothing but trouble. Random crashes with the edgers drivers and intel-next-proposed kernel. Same with standard drivers. Disconnecting the monitor often crashes the system. Do yourself a favour and wait with the investment before things have settled.