Thread: Can't access a drive on the network since Ubuntu reinstall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can't access a drive on the network since Ubuntu reinstall

This was working for me in 10.10 until I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu. I have a Western Digital Live Hub, basically a hard drive that sits under my telly and lets me stream media from the computer or transfer media to it from the computer. I could access it fine a couple of days ago, but then I reinstalled Ubuntu and now I get the error "Unable to mount location, Failed to retrieve share list from server". Anyone have any idea how I can access it again?
    Registered Ubuntu user #14359.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't access a drive on the network since Ubuntu reinstall

I do not have experience with that device, but if I have to guess, it uses smb (Windows) to share its disks. What I would do is update your Ubuntu machine (in case there's a Samba update), reboot, and try again.

If that doesn't work... Did you configure any setting of Samba? like change the workgroup or something like that?

Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; March 29th, 2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I do not have experience with that device, but if I have to guess, it uses smb (Windows) to share its disks. What I would do is update your Ubuntu machine (in case there's a Samba update), reboot, and try again.

If that doesn't work... Did you configure any setting of Samba? like change the workgroup or something like that?

Regards.
    I updated Ubuntu, there appeared to be a Samba update so I installed and rebooted but it hasn't helped.

I don't even know what Samba is so I don't think I configured any of its settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Samba is the protocole that allows you to gain access to windows style file sharing.

If you have a drive (windows term) on the network, you most likely need Samba to access it.

Try this from the command line (Applications>Accessories>Terminal):
    sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient

We'll make sure anything you need is installed.

Then try to connect to it again.
    If it still doesn't work we will debug a bit further.

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280473

Might help. It looks a bit hard but there's a lot of good explanations in there.

Samba will be a breeze after that.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro

Okay if I go to smb://<IP of drive>/ I can get into it fine. It's just getting to it from my network folder which isn't working. How odd!

The even stranger thing is that before my re-install I didn't need to do anything like this to access it, just clicking it in the Network folder worked.

Beans

Something in your network or something you enabled on your Ubuntu machine like the firewall is preventing you from converting a machine name to an ip address.

If the Western Digital Live Hub has a static ip address or if it can be set to have a static ip address then once you connect to it using smb://<ip address> bookmark it ( Bookmarks > Add bookmark ).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Something in your network or something you enabled on your Ubuntu machine like the firewall is preventing you from converting a machine name to an ip address.

If the Western Digital Live Hub has a static ip address or if it can be set to have a static ip address then once you connect to it using smb://<ip address> bookmark it ( Bookmarks > Add bookmark ).
    It actually plopped a link to itself on my desktop after I'd managed to open it, which is handy. How do I adjust Ubuntu's firewall please?