Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Login screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Login screen

So I've been trying to search for a theme for my login screen in Ubuntu Maverick. I've found a few themes that are very attractive but they usually have some detail that I find intrusive or unattractive. FOr example this one:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=114987

Changing the wallpaper it has is simple, but I would like to remove the "Welcome" message it has. Maybe just make it display the PC name and a symbol next to it (perhaps the Ubuntu 10.10 red circle symbol?). It's an idea. There's also a great looking Iron Man login screen I found on the website but it has never allowed me to download it; it's pretty much the only one I wouldn't modify at all.

So can anyone guide me into how I would go about editing this theme or making one from scratch? I'm very intrigued in learning if it's not a 10 in a 1-10 difficulty rating. Most of the threads I've run into are old and one of them even forced me into having to re-install Ubuntu all over again after it wouldn't boot up at all. I really rather ask and have someone guide me than getting frustrated again (and not being able to convince my girlfriend to install it on her laptop so she'll stop getting viruses in Win7).
    Supra: To surpass or go beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Login screen

I tired this at one point, I got the wallpaper changed but everything else I could not. From what I have read and understand is that in the newest version of Ubuntu they have disabled all ability to change the login theme. The only things you can personalize it the logo, the wallpaper, and your user picture, that is it. Keep searching though, there has to be a way!

Beans
    Distro

Maybe diving into one of the themes and editing each thing manually? If that can be done and someone guides me through the process (to know what each file does) then I really wouldn't mind trying it out and posting results. I've been at this for 2 days now. Used Ubuntu Tweaks but that only allows you to change the wallpaper and icon (no interface).

GDM2Setup won't download in Maverick at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hate to destroy your hopes about being able to do more comprehensive modifications to the login screen, but see my earlier post regarding that:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10468340

Greetings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't understand. Did the Debian Future theme apply and do what it says on the box? If so, it's just a .xml document and some indexed .pngs. He could edit any part of that freely. The welcome message would just be a string of text in the xml.

I've never tried this personally - I'm just using the Crunchybranch login screen from Gnome-Look, although I did change the panel and login window theme to Orta using GDM2 Setup.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I don't understand. Did the Debian Future theme apply and do what it says on the box? If so, it's just a .xml document and some indexed .pngs. He could edit any part of that freely. The welcome message would just be a string of text in the xml.

I've never tried this personally - I'm just using the Crunchybranch login screen from Gnome-Look, although I did change the panel and login window theme to Orta using GDM2 Setup.
    GDM2 won't install on Maverick though :/

I'm going to download the Debian Future theme now and I'll let you know what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool.

I have no idea how I got GDM2 Setup installed on my machine. I'm most definitely using Maverick, and I'm pretty sure I installed it after I upgraded. It apparently has the ability to bork your login settings on Ubuntu, which sounds rather serious, although I haven't seen it happen. It overwrites your login settings with the wrong cases (but running the normal Login Window settings manager afterward fixes them.)

Installing it did disallow Ubuntu Tweak to change the computer icon in GDM Setup, and it can't be changed in GDM2, and for whatever reason, it fixated on the Xubuntu mouse head logo, so that I eventually had to search my system for all images with "Xubuntu" in the path and overwrite it with the logo I wanted.

Maybe GDM2 isn't actually a very good solution. Let's see what happens with that theme. = )
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

I searched a bit more and ran across this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...88&postcount=2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572705

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post10605710

Apparently, one method is to downgrade to an older GDM version. Another way is just to use in unison both GDM2setup and Ubuntu Tweak. Downgrading the GDM is something I'd rather not do as I'm way too new to know what to do if I mess something up. I already have Ubuntu Tweak and played around with it a bit, but can't find anything about how to install GDM2setup on Maverick. I'll keep looking.

I downloaded the theme by the way, but all I can find via Google search on how to install themes is either methods in older Ubuntu releases or using GDM2 along with Ubuntu Tweak.

Anybody else got any idea how to get GDM2setup to install on Maverick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My GDM is 2.30.5-0ubuntu4. That's the most recent version for Maverick at packages.ubuntu.com. My GDM2 Setup is this one, and it's only supported through Lucid but still works.

Beans
    Distro

Oooooh, looks like I'll finally have the chance to sit down and learn how to compile from source. Thanks for the incentive. Let's see how this goes.....

Before I begin, is this a good guide I should follow or should I find a more modern one?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=323939
    Last edited by Inygknok; March 28th, 2011 at 06:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast