Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 freezes randomly on Dell Inspiron 1501

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 freezes randomly on Dell Inspiron 1501

Hi All,
    I freshly installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1501. I am using the full disk. The system freezes randomly and doesn't respond anymore. The only thing I can do is a physical reboot. I tried to reinstall it a couple of times but I end up with the same problem. The system freezes anytime and with any program but mostly when Update Manager is running and when copying from a USB drive or taring few gigs of data.

Any idea how to fix this??

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 freezes randomly on Dell Inspiron 1501

I have a Dell laptop that used to freeze now and again and I found that certain Compiz settings were to blame.

If you have not made any changes try running without Compiz by going to System>Preferences>Appearance clicking on the Visual effects tab and selecting None.

If after a period of use the computer does not freeze and you would like to use better graphics go to Applications>Ubuntu software centre, enter compiz in the search box and install the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

You can then turn off each setting until the offender is located.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

GD! Dell 1501!!!! BS! I',m so tired of these OEM manufacturers , especially Dell. So Linux unfriendly!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogier View Post
    I have a Dell laptop that used to freeze now and again and I found that certain Compiz settings were to blame.

If you have not made any changes try running without Compiz by going to System>Preferences>Appearance clicking on the Visual effects tab and selecting None.

If after a period of use the computer does not freeze and you would like to use better graphics go to Applications>Ubuntu software centre, enter compiz in the search box and install the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

You can then turn off each setting until the offender is located.
    I forgot to mention that all visual effects are disabled. The freezing still happens randomly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The same problem annoyed me on my Acer Aspire 5542G with Ubuntu 10.10. I solved this problem by disabling bluetooth service.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxer-India View Post
    The same problem annoyed me on my Acer Aspire 5542G with Ubuntu 10.10. I solved this problem by disabling bluetooth service.
    The Inspiron 1501 doesn't have bluetooth. I am trying to save this computer for a friend of mine. Except the annoying freezing, Ubuntu works great on this computer where Windows really sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mahman View Post
    The Inspiron 1501 doesn't have bluetooth. I am trying to save this computer for a friend of mine. Except the annoying freezing, Ubuntu works great on this computer where Windows really sucks.
    Oh! thats ok.

My another suggestion is, try to boot ubuntu with "acpi=off" option.

Beans

Thanks all for the help.
    None of the proposed solutions worked. I can reproduce the issue consistently though. When I try to copy pictures or music files from a USB external hard drive to the home folder, it automatically freezes.

Beans

Cool Re: Ubuntu 10.10 freezes randomly on Dell Inspiron 1501

Confirming!
    Have notebook Dell Inspiron 1501.
    Seems that this freezing is related to HDD-using, cause there no no freezing when i`m using rdesktop to work on remote pc and freezes most time when doing heavy upgrade.
    I`m think this is started after I upgraded OS from 10.4 to 10.10 ! =(

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by samacaster View Post
    GD! Dell 1501!!!! BS! I',m so tired of these OEM manufacturers , especially Dell. So Linux unfriendly!
    I have 4 Dell laptops including the Inspiron 1501. All are running Linux without a single hitch. I've installed it on several Dells for friends family etc and all are working fine..

None of these are Linux unfriendly..
    Colyn

My photography website: http://www.colynsfotografs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast