Thread: ProFTPd Problems

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ProFTPd Problems

Dear Ubuntu-friends/lovers/and so on,

I got a problem with a webserver of a friend of mine. My website is currently hosted on his server (and also a few other of my staging websites). In the beginning I installed ProFTPd on his webserver for easy access. It only never worked perfectly.

The problem is that when I download or upload a (big) file with FTP it works fine. But if want to copy for example a folder with a few more files (around 50) it breaks the connection and it will have to reconnect, then after 3/7 seconds it happens again and again, and.. you get the point. When I have a folder with a lot of files (+80) it crashes/breaks the connection at the moment it is indexing the files it has to copy.

I don't know what the problem can be, as far as I know the FTP server is configured correctly. I hope someone can help or push me a little in the right direction. If you got other suggestions or alternatives, it's no problem, I have full administrator rights to the server.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: ProFTPd Problems

Did you try both active and passive transfers in your FTP client?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Retire FTP

It might be time to retire old FTP.

If you can reach his server with SSH, then you already have SFTP installed and configured. You won't need any special clients for SFTP and turning off FTP means one less service to monitor and keep going.

SFTP is an easy, secure, and reliable way to transfer files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@falko yes, I tried both Active and Passive. It both didn't work as expected. I also tried disabeling the firewall but to no avail.

@Lars I know, I just have a hunch that if the normal FTP doesn't work, SFTP will also not work. Do you think that can make the difference/solve the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jonakoudijs View Post
    @Lars I know, I just have a hunch that if the normal FTP doesn't work, SFTP will also not work. Do you think that can make the difference/solve the problem?
    Unlike FTPS, SFTP it's a different port, protocol and server software. It's probably already installed and configured. So, yes it might work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Unlike FTPS, SFTP it's a different port, protocol and server software. It's probably already installed and configured. So, yes it might work.
    Ah ok right. Well I installed ProFTPd. You are saying I can use my existing ProFTPd installation? I assume I have uncomment this line in my config file:

Code:
    #Include /etc/proftpd/tls.conf
    What more do I have to do to setup the SFTP?