Thread: Need my iPad!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Need my iPad!

I've tried many things posted in other forums and gon through about 4 different audio players, but none will read my iPad. It doesn't even show up!

Has anyone found a program that let's you sync your iPad to your computer just like iTunes (music, photos, videos, bookmarks, apps, etc.). Also, how can you update the device from these programs?

I'm so close to going back to windows right now, so please help!

P.S. The ipad is 4.2.1 and the laptop is a Dell inspiron tuning ubuntu 10.10
    -Thanks, ANTlabs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Need my iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by ANTlabs View Post
    Has anyone found a program that let's you sync your iPad to your computer just like iTunes (music, photos, videos, bookmarks, apps, etc.). Also, how can you update the device from these programs?
    There are ways to sync your music, but I think you're out of luck for the other stuff - especially the firmware updates. Someone gave my an ipad. I enjoy it (I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth), but you have to realize that when you deal with Apple products you won't ever have full linux interoperability. (It's a walled garden with concertina wire on top.)

That being said, when I need to transfer files I use the "GoodReader" app. I also use iFile, which is only available if you jailbreak.

I'm so close to going back to windows right now, so please help!

P.S. The ipad is 4.2.1 and the laptop is a Dell inspiron tuning ubuntu 10.10
    You already have a windows license, right? Just create a windows 7 VM and fire it up whenever you need to make a backup of your ipad. But if you feel the need to blame someone, blame Apple. Maybe - if your like me - after a few months you'll realize that the iPad is less useful than a normal computer and you'll cease worrying about compatibility. My iPad is now mostly used by my son to watch cartoons.
    Last edited by nevius; March 23rd, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use my ipad for most of my web browsing. I love it because of it's portability. I also use it as a virtual notepad that i carry around.

I would love to get a vista v-box up and running ( I actually had a really cool Idea to make it run on startup and be one of my 6 desktops!) but it keeps nagging me about virtualization not being on in the bios (I'll post the full error report here if you need it).

Any ideas?
    -Thanks, ANTlabs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Really? No one on this whole forum knows how to sync anything to an ipad? I'll be fine with just music for now!
    -Thanks, ANTlabs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ANTlabs View Post
    Really? No one on this whole forum knows how to sync anything to an ipad? I'll be fine with just music for now!
    You can find information regarding the current status of ithingy support here: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

You can find their PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~pmcenery/+archive/ppa

If you have problems, I recommend seeking help on their IRC.

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you so much to whoever posted this!
    -Thanks, ANTlabs

Beans

I must admit, I have owned the 1G iPad... but now I have seen the Motorola Xoom... Ohhhhh!! woooowww!!!!

Beans

Never could get my iPad 1 to sync to Lucid. Did all in the one post but still wasn't able to do anything. I could see the iPad in my home folder. Would try to copy music, pictures etc into it. Showed that it was done. But when I disconnect from pc and went into the iPad nothing was there. Was using Rhythmbox when doing this. So, had to use DropBox to put pictures over to the iPad and also play music from there. POS iPad! Won it from Dummies.com contest. Was wanting something else. Trying to get some of the Free apps for it, not wasting good money on apps for the thing. Hate closed systems like that.
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570