Page 104 of 254 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

I have been running Mozilla® Firefox™ 5.0 since 22 June 2011 and have some advice on Packages to watch out for. The package ubufox replaces xul-ext-ubufox in most still-supported Releases prior to 10.10 Maverick---I run 10.04.2-LTS Lucid myself.
    Code:
    gksudo apt-get remove --purge xul-ext-ubufox
    gksudo apt-get install ubufox
    The Package xul-ext-firegpg is primarily needed for Launchpad. As of 24 June 2011, I am still awaiting comprehensive PPA Package updating for the LTS releases concerning XULRunner-2.1.*.* (xulrunner-2.1, xulrunner-2.1-gnome-support) and its dependencies and dependent packages (Gecko™ 2.0 being the default engine for Mozilla® Firefox™ 4.0.1; 2.1, for 5.0.*). Most other regularly-used Extensions can be downloaded from Mozilla® Add-ons for Firefox™.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; June 25th, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Hyperlink correction.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Okay, so I managed to create a new profile for Firefox now I'm just not sure how to choose which profile to use.

I also did the command lines in terminal.
    Last edited by weirdwisdom; June 25th, 2011 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-locale-ru
    Then type about:config in the address bar, then type general.useragent.locale in the filter, double-click in the resulting preference and change it to ru. Restart the browser.
    Thanks, that did work, even without changing the useragent.locale.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by weirdwisdom View Post
    Okay, so I managed to create a new profile for Firefox now I'm just not sure how to choose which profile to use.

I also did the command lines in terminal.
    Start Firefox with:

Code:
    firefox -P
    If the new profile works, let me know what you need from the old profile (passwords, bookmarks etc..) so I can help you copying stuff from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_AUT View Post
    I just wished Ubuntu updates didn't include the latest versions of Firefox. The only difference I see between FF4 and FF5 is that videos are barely watchable due to those black squares, and that Moonlight isn't compatible with FF5 anymore.

I mean, it's nice to have new stuff. But having new stuff just for the sake of being new isn't always the best thing.
    There were improvements in Javascript engine and Firefox 5 is 20% faster than Firefox 4. That is a good reason, isn't it?

To solve your problem with black squares in videos, get Flash-Aid and run the add-on Wizard to install the latest flash and apply tweaks that should fix the problem.

Moonlight indeed doesn't work. If you are on a 32bit system, you can do this:

Remove your current Moonlight:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove libmoon moonlight-plugin-core moonlight-plugin-mozilla
    Then install Add-on Compatibility Reporter, to disable compatibility check. Keep in mind this will allow to install incompatible add-ons in Firefox, so if you experience any problems, disable it.

Then go to Mono web site and install the latest Moonlight 4.

Restart Firefox. You can test your plugin at http://bubblemark.com/silverlight2.html

This method didn't work with 64bit. The plugin just crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I'm not using moonlight but everything I'm watching is great to say the least. More info is needed to see what your problem can be. GL
    Everything is great here too. I also don't use Moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    I have been running Mozilla® Firefox™ 5.0 since 22 June 2011 and have some advice on Packages to watch out for. The package ubufox replaces xul-ext-ubufox in most still-supported Releases prior to 10.10 Maverick---I run 10.04.2-LTS Lucid myself.
    Code:
    gksudo apt-get remove --purge xul-ext-ubufox
    gksudo apt-get install ubufox
    The Package xul-ext-firegpg is primarily needed for Launchpad. As of 24 June 2011, I am still awaiting comprehensive PPA Package updating for the LTS releases concerning XULRunner-2.1.*.* (xulrunner-2.1, xulrunner-2.1-gnome-support) and its dependencies and dependent packages (Gecko™ 2.0 being the default engine for Mozilla® Firefox™ 4.0.1; 2.1, for 5.0.*). Most other regularly-used Extensions can be downloaded from Mozilla® Add-ons for Firefox™.
    The package ubufox is a dummy transitional package to the new xul-ext-ubufox. In theory, you don't actually need ubufox. However, on Lucid, xul-ext-ubufox is still version 0.9.0, while ubufox is 0.9.1. So xul-ext-ubufox doesn't work with Firefox 5, while ubufox does.

FireGPG is no longer under development and is not included in Natty repositories.

You don't need xulrunner to run Firefox any more.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Thanks, that did work, even without changing the useragent.locale.
    Great.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; June 25th, 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, after a crash, firefox5 did not reopen my tabs, nor are they stored in the "history" menu, can I recover them somehow or do i have to open them again? Preferences, etc. are all preserved, only the open tabs and pinned tabs are all gone...

Thanks in advance.
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting article about why add-ons break and why the new development model is beneficial in terms of add-on compatibility.

Thanks to SilverWave for finding and sharing it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by El_Belgicano View Post
    Hi, after a crash, firefox5 did not reopen my tabs, nor are they stored in the "history" menu, can I recover them somehow or do i have to open them again? Preferences, etc. are all preserved, only the open tabs and pinned tabs are all gone...

Thanks in advance.
    The History is saved on the database file places.sqlite in your profile folder (~/.mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/places.sqlite). If you lost your history, then most likely the database got corrupted or lost data during the crash.

If you have Sync featured enabled already in the preferences, then you could try to replace the data in your browser with the data from the server. To do that, open the Preferences, click the Sync tab, then click Manage Account, then Reset Sync, then Replace all data in this computer with my Sync data, then click Next and follow instructions.

If you don't have Sync enabled, then unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to recover the history. However, you can delete the places.sqlite file (close Firefox and make a copy first) and restore a bookmark backup from the Bookmark Manager. Type CTRL+SHIFT+O, then click "Import & Backup >> Restore". This will probably recover some lost bookmarks and fix issues if the database is corrupted.

Using Sync and making backups of your profile folder regularly is highly recommended. I also recommend using Session Manager extension for saving tabs and sessions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    The History is saved on the database file places.sqlite in your profile folder (~/.mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/places.sqlite). If you lost your history, then most likely the database got corrupted or lost data during the crash.

If you have Sync featured enabled already in the preferences, then you could try to replace the data in your browser with the data from the server. To do that, open the Preferences, click the Sync tab, then click Manage Account, then Reset Sync, then Replace all data in this computer with my Sync data, then click Next and follow instructions.

If you don't have Sync enabled, then unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to recover the history. However, you can delete the places.sqlite file (close Firefox and make a copy first) and restore a bookmark backup from the Bookmark Manager. Type CTRL+SHIFT+O, then click "Import & Backup >> Restore". This will probably recover some lost bookmarks and fix issues if the database is corrupted.

Using Sync and making backups of your profile folder regularly is highly recommended. I also recommend using Session Manager extension for saving tabs and sessions.
    Seems like I'm gonna have to go from scratch then... With a few losses probably...
    I'll look into sync, this won't happen to me twice...

Thanks anyway
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CVGH View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 on everything. XP is in Virtualbox, but rarely use it....
    Lucky you! I wish my office used Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by El_Belgicano View Post
    Seems like I'm gonna have to go from scratch then... With a few losses probably...
    I'll look into sync, this won't happen to me twice...

Thanks anyway
    I find the "Send Tab URLS 2.0" addon useful. This way you don't have to depend on your browser's history. You can use it to paste your open tabs as URLS to the clipboard, which you can then save in your favorite text editor or choose to email the list to yourself.

Search for "Send Tab URLS 2.0" in add-ons or go to the following link:
    http://aecreations.mozdev.org/sendtabs/index.html

It works in Firefox 5. If you have the menubar hidden, you will need to press the alt key so that the menubar displays and then choose File, Send Tab URLS...

Page 104 of 254 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast