Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Alleges Android Patent Infringement by Nook eReader

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Microsoft Alleges Android Patent Infringement by Nook eReader

Quote Originally Posted by arvevans View Post
    Is this a sideways attack on Linux and Unix X-windows and also on multi-tab browsers like Firefox? It seems that Microsoft may be trying to overwhelm a small outfit (Barnes & Noble) in order to set a precedent that could then be used to attack windowing software and tabbed screens on all non-Microsoft systems.
    Barnes & Noble is hardly a "small outfit".

Beans

I've just Googled ( ) some of "unique technology" patents - here You have one: THE SELECTION HANDLES:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,891,551

and one more:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...y=PN%2F6128007

So I think my example patent for motor is incomplete, it should be:
    Assignee: First-Motor. Inc
    Motor:
    A device or some other thing that potentially could be considered a device, that can output mechanical power using two methods: left and right. The selection between methods can be made either by switch or by voice command or by commanding gesture. We have completely no idea how to efficiently implement direction changing in DSP-based AC servo controller, but if such controller would have a direction switch or microphone, then its inventor is considered using proprietry patented technology. OUR BRILLIANT TECHNOLOGY and we'll sue him.

:LOL:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    Barnes & Noble is hardly a "small outfit".
    Barnes & Noble might look big but look at its finances. It's doing barely okay. Look at Borders the company was a huge company that fell due to staggering debt. Just a few months ago there were rumors of Borders buying B&N, now look at them. The Nook Color saved B&N much like the eMac saved Apple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    With any luck Barnes and Noble can find prior art or make the same argument as was made in the Bilski case... and then this patent will be removed from the world.
    At the, likely, huge cost of a lawsuit that is just showing that the system is designed wrong. I believe this will be settled, it is simply cheaper for both companies. It is in reality a legal shakedown, nobody can afford to prove prior art.

Ah software patents, don't you just love them.

Regardless, a lot of bad news for Android lately, but I suspect it is to be expected. Once you have a success, everyone wants part of the pie.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

I really don't understand this patent rubbish, but this makes me hate Microsoft more than I already do.

As long as we have an alternative like Ubuntu, Libre Office, Firefox, Chrome that's all I need.
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans

Hmm... software patents. Don't they have more important things to do? Like improving Windows so they won't loose all their users to the other side, perhaps?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't see what else Microsoft could do: they only survive on monopolistic basis. So far now the only product they did manage to keep in a fair challenge is the xbox

"microsoft on mobile" so far now failed in many ways. And since the "mobile market" is something you can't refuse they play in the only way they are used to: dirty.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't like microsoft much. Kinda like I don't like Walmart much (used to work for them). Sometimes I must trade with both of them . . . sometimes there is nobody else with what I must have.

Barnes and Noble is my favorite bookseller. They get me the books I want when I want them . . . in the store or ordered online. Would FSF help them? I realize that open source and free software are different things . . . but they have much in common and should help each other. Is there any other organization that could help?

I think I could be very seriously motivated to contribute to a group actively joining in to fight Microsoft's legal challenges in issues such as this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ade234uk View Post
    I really don't understand this patent rubbish
    That's because software patents only exist in the US. The rest of the world is (for the moment at least) smarter than that...
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

a guy who builds a nice chair doesn't owe money to everyone who ever has built a chair.
    From the social network.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast