Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maverick FGLRX screen corruption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

(Hey, Devs! Check this out) Maverick FGLRX screen corruption

Only have a few minutes to right this so sorry if its rushed.

Using FGLRX (latest from Maverick repos), ubuntu kernel (pae) ubuntu xorg. All updated. Was in Libreoffice (installed from ppa) and I noticed on some dialogue boxes the screen was corrupted, typically dashed white and black lines, sometimes inverted colors. At first I thought this was a libreoffice problem until I opened up a terminal (screenshot below, you can see it in the menu area of terminal)

my xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Driver	"fglrx"
    EndSection

Direct Rendering reports: Yes

glxgears is showing 3000+ FPS

Its a Radeon HD 3200 (integrated) card. Honestly I'm really not sure where to start with diagnosing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lolpanda; April 9th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
    From The Ashes A Fire Shall Be Woken.

http://t1mb3rbr00k.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Beans
    Distro

Re: Maverick FGLRX screen corruption

Small bump

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This indeed hurts your eyes!

First, upgrade the video driver through Ubuntu-X-Swat PPA if you haven't done so already, it offers more recent drivers than the offical repos:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Then create a new proper xorg.conf:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Then reboot/relogin.

Greetings.
    Last edited by Krytarik; April 6th, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Will do. Had been trying to avoid the xorg ppa only because of xorg updates that would break comparability with catalyst/fglrx, but we'll give it a shot, can always ppa-purge later.

Doing a massive download right now so it'll be a few before I can reboot; will reply back with any improvements

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lolpanda View Post
    Will do. Had been trying to avoid the xorg ppa only because of xorg updates that would break comparability with catalyst/fglrx, but we'll give it a shot, can always ppa-purge later.
    This IS NOT the Xorg-Edgers' PPA, if you are referring to those, those doesn't even offer the fglrx driver. No, this is Ubuntu-X-Swat's PPA, the packages they are providing don't do major changes to your system, they are just a few video driver packages, like you can see when you visit the PPA's site. And yeah, knowing how to purge the PPA if necessary is always good.

Beans
    Distro

Still no luck. Let me try something from the the Arch Linux Wiki (damn it if those guys & Gentoo don't have the best Wiki's in the entire Linux Ecosystem haha)

Screenshot below -- you can see it in the top panel around the menu and the clock. That was from having JUST rebooted and JUST updating fglrx & remaking xorg.conf

Screenshot attatched, xorg.conf repost (Its longer this time. I guess Jockey doesn't do aticonfig --initial -f when you use the Hardware Drivers app, cuz you can compare the two from this post and my first post, first post was Jockey's, second is --initial -f):

Code:
    eric@desktop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load  "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

eric@desktop:~$
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lolpanda; April 8th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Does this issue also occur if you run Metacity instead of Compiz (which I assume you are running)?:
    - press Alt+F2
    - enter:
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    Btw., you can enable compositing in Metacity by running this command:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager --type bool --set true

Beans
    Distro

And down the rabbit hole we go....

Rebooted, sound works... monitor errrored out with "Cannot display this video type" or something similar (I could have sworn I made a thread with that same problem like 2 years ago on a different ubuntu version...)

At first I thought it was the xorg.conf (the new one) so I swapped the one that aticonfig made, out with the one that jockey made when I installed the drivers. Guess what, same problem -.- Soooo a configuration that worked 3 days ago, no longer works. And nothing's changed.

I could have SWORN i had told Gnome to run metacity --replace in Startup Applications, on every boot but for some reason it wasn't listed there.

If you're curious, both xorg.confs are listed above in the various posts. Right now im running on either the radeon or VESA driver and its not correctly picking..or even listing my monitor's resolution under Preferrences. I'm starting to wonder what application is ACTUALLY bugging out. Xorg, Metacity/Gnome, or FGLRX

Starting to think its Fglrx or my xorg.confs.

Vesa/Radeon I don't have problems with (Corruption wise). But that doesn't make sense, because I had Maverick installed on here before, also Fedora 14, with fglrx, and Arch with fglrx, all worked fine without corruption. And this would be the second time where I've installed an Ubuntu version when it first came out, everything worked fine, then I switched to a different distro and when I came back I had graphic corruption (always the same type of corruption, dashed lines and warped images)

Happened with 10.04, and now happening with 10.10, its seriously like that whoever is the maintainers on these packages aren't watching to see if bumping up versions by more than 1 is introducing bugs. Such as if you had 10.10 when it first came out, and kept up the updates moving from say fglrx 10.5.6 (base version) then 10.5.7 (update) then 10.5.8 (update) etc etc, but aren't checking to see if bugs pop up when you jump from 10.5.6 to 10.7.8 in a single update, like what would happen if someone leaves the distro and comes back to it using the same CD
    Last edited by Lolpanda; April 8th, 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

First, I haven't seen a general issue with similar corruptions like this. So, it seems to be more confined to your specific system.

Also, what is actually the answer to my question, do you have this corruption also if you run Metacity?

More often than not Compiz is the cause of this kind of issues, and numerous other ones.
    But usually, one is able to get it working at last.

If you want to always run Metacity instead, you can either
    - switch "Appearance -> Visual Effects" to "None"
    - or if that doesn't work, modify the related Gconf keys:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current --type string --set /usr/bin/metacity
    gconftool-2 /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default --type string --set /usr/bin/metacity
    The value for Compiz is "/usr/bin/compiz".

Beans
    Distro

Then thats really unfortunate, and yes it would seem I am running metacity (not as a compositing manager) because I had gone and set Visual Effects to none to get a few extra FPS out of games

Edit: and We're back on track with the corruption...

brought up terminal

sudo aticonfig --initial (With NO xorg.conf even existing, it had to create its own)
    sudo reboot

Ubuntu came up fine to the desktop (monitor didnt error out saying it didnt support the video output) But I still had corruption when using metacity as the default window manager with compositing disabled. Could this possibly be from the theme I'm using? Its Bisigi's "Airlines" theme
    Last edited by Lolpanda; April 8th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast