Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz restore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face Compiz restore

My compiz has been acting up lately since I updated my Ubuntu about two weeks ago. In fact, it is not working at all. All the open window applications do not have a close bar, and I cannot drag them, so in order to close the application, I have to right click on that application's icon on the panel, which is very frustrating. I know that I still have it on my computer, I just don't know why it won't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Compiz restore

Quote Originally Posted by 1chess2u Christian View Post
    My compiz has been acting up lately since I updated my Ubuntu about two weeks ago. In fact, it is not working at all. All the open window applications do not have a close bar, and I cannot drag them, so in order to close the application, I have to right click on that application's icon on the panel, which is very frustrating. I know that I still have it on my computer, I just don't know why it won't work.
    I don't know about the Compiz or Ubuntu restoration, but once, I had something similar to your problem; not finding buttons to close or minimising or restoring windows...etc

I think the solution for me was:

- System > Preferences > Appearance > Appearance Preferences (windows) (or right-click on Desktop > Change Desktop Background > )Appearance Preferences (windows))

Note: make sure you remember what you have at the moment i.e. Is it "None", or "Normal", or "Extra", or "Custom". So make sure you remember what you have ticked/chosen at the moment

- In "Preferences Appearance" windows - "Visual Effects" tab - Tick "None"

- Then again go back to "Preferences Appearance" windows - "Visual Effects" tab - Tick whatever you had before you chose "None"

Then open up anything to see if the "Close"/"Minimise"/"Restore" are back

Hopefully that will sort out the problem

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Compiz restore

What if it is already at None?

Beans
    Distro

Never mind. I think that I fixed it. I have the close bar back on top of the windows!
    Thank you!!

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Compiz restore

sorry for posting so many times, but do you have any idea how to restore compiz at all? even an apt-get would be okay

Beans
    Distro

What if it is already at None?
    Then just try and change around Lol

I learnt that if you take a strait path with computers you'll get really frustrated, but if you play around and crash this and mess that up...then trying to put it back together with yourself you'll probably learn more than than just taking strait instructions

Obviously I have a cheap PC for that Lol. I use my Laptop for the important stuff where I can't mess around with

Beans
    Distro

sorry for posting so many times, but do you have any idea how to restore compiz at all? even an apt-get would be okay
    Do you mean that you unistalled Compiz and can't get it back?
    Last edited by WlaadDyaab; March 20th, 2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: deleted an extra word

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge compiz*
    uninstalls compiz

Code:
    cd $HOME && rm -rf .compiz/ .config/compiz/
    deletes compiz config files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WlaadDyaab View Post
    Then just try and change around Lol

I learnt that if you take a strait path with computers you'll get really frustrated, but if you play around and crash this and mess that up...then trying to put it back together with yourself you'll probably learn more than than just taking strait instructions

Obviously I have a cheap PC for that Lol. I use my Laptop for the important stuff where I can't mess around with
    Thanks for the advice, but I have neither the know-how nor the resources to mess around with stuff, and tampering with things that I don't know about usually makes me more frustrated than if I just got a strait path to the goal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WlaadDyaab View Post
    Do you mean that you unistalled Compiz and can't get it back?
    No. I just apologized for not making one reply instead of three. I definitely have Compiz on my computer, but it just won't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast