Thread: Hi - NEW

Beans

Question Hi - NEW

Well, I haven't learned a whole lot in Ubuntu. I'm in the Ada area and just built a machine to teach myself how to setup a network and teach myself some stuff on that and teach myself security. If anyone has any pointers to get me started, I'd appreciate it.

Also, here's my main reason for posting: I installed Starcraft II on my Ubuntu box and I have 3 users on it. There's myself, brother in law, and wife. My wife won't be playing it My brother in law will be. On his account, we can't access the file directory in Wine due to it being in my C: in Wine.

I wanted to install it on his, but when I try, we get a permission denied at a certain point, then when I switch to my account, I see that a drive could not be mounted.

I'd really like to get him setup to where he can login and play with his Ubuntu account (separate from Battle.net acct).

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hi - NEW

Hi Aeonis.

A really great place to do research is in the community wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

There are lots of really informative articles, if you know what you're looking for. Also, one of my favorite resources for Ubuntu security is this forum post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765421

Besides that, here's a few other links you might enjoy:

The Big Ol' Ubuntu Security Resource - Perhaps a little outdated, but still great.
    LinuxSecurity.com
    Linux Cheat Sheets
    Lintuts - A Linux/Ubuntu tutorial site. I actually follow them on Twitter.

I hope these were informative.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShinHadoken View Post
    Hi Aeonis.

A really great place to do research is in the community wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

There are lots of really informative articles, if you know what you're looking for. Also, one of my favorite resources for Ubuntu security is this forum post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765421

Besides that, here's a few other links you might enjoy:

The Big Ol' Ubuntu Security Resource - Perhaps a little outdated, but still great.
    LinuxSecurity.com
    Linux Cheat Sheets
    Lintuts - A Linux/Ubuntu tutorial site. I actually follow them on Twitter.

I hope these were informative.
    Thank you! Be careful where you point those Hadokens...I saw one kill a man once. Another bad thing, the Flash Kick...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceq...io_screwed.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm in the Ada area and just built a machine to teach myself how to setup a network and teach myself some stuff on that and teach myself security. If anyone has any pointers to get me started, I'd appreciate it.
    Glad to have another okie using Ubuntu. You can come by our IRC channel #ubuntu-us-ok on the freenode network. It is a kind of slow channel. Also I am on the Ubuntu Beginners Team. A great place to learn about Ubuntu and the Ubuntu Community. We have a couple security folks on the team who would be more then happy to help you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duanedesign View Post
    Glad to have another okie using Ubuntu. You can come by our IRC channel #ubuntu-us-ok on the freenode network. It is a kind of slow channel. Also I am on the Ubuntu Beginners Team. A great place to learn about Ubuntu and the Ubuntu Community. We have a couple security folks on the team who would be more then happy to help you.
    Agreed! I'll have to stop by there and linger around. I know hardly anything about security, so I'm looking ot learn what I can. I was told that the earlier I can get a grasp on TCPIP, the better. Everything else will fall into place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm going to Oklahoma Univeristy and LOVE Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    I'm going to Oklahoma Univeristy and LOVE Ubuntu
    Great to hear.

Is your major anything computer related? Curious because a lot of people find Linux/Ubuntu through being involved in programming and computer science at University. We need to broaden that awarness to the general public. I know when I found Ubuntu I thought 'i wish i had found this sooner'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, yes, I am majoring in Computer Science haha