Thread: Suddenly, no more login sound

Beans

Suddenly, no more login sound

Suddenly, when I login to my Ubuntu 10.10 user account, I no-longer hear the login sound (desktop-login). What's interesting is that if I login using any other user account, the login sound plays OK. All setting (System > Preferences > Startup Applications and System > Preferences > Sound) are exactly the same for my user account and the other user accounts.

Where could I find the login sound configuration settings in my home directory? Something tells me that a configuration setting in my own home directory must be messed up, then again I may be wrong.

Does anybody know what may be happening here?

Thank you in advance,

Kerke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Suddenly, no more login sound

In System->Preferences->Sound you can select a sound theme. If the sound theme that you have selected is "No Sound," you will not get a login sound.

This, for me, is the preferred behavior. I have a laptop, and it's annoying when I have to start it in one of my classes and it announces the fact to the world.

If that's not your problem, I've no idea what is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickleboyblue View Post
    In System->Preferences->Sound you can select a sound theme. If the sound theme that you have selected is "No Sound," you will not get a login sound.

This, for me, is the preferred behavior. I have a laptop, and it's annoying when I have to start it in one of my classes and it announces the fact to the world.

If that's not your problem, I've no idea what is.
    My System > Preferences > Sound > Sound Theme is Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok, you did say that all settings in "Preferences -> Sound" are exactly the same in both user accounts. But just to make sure, the "Alert volume" is set to a reasonable level and "Mute" is not ticked, right?

And check the command for "Startup Applications -> GNOME Login Sound", it should be like this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    Also, do you have a file named ".asoundrc" or similar in your home directory?
    Although this post is bit older: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421482

Beans

Unhappy Re: Suddenly, no more login sound

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Ok, you did say that all settings in "Preferences -> Sound" are exactly the same in both user accounts. But just to make sure, the "Alert volume" is set to a reasonable level and "Mute" is not ticked, right?

And check the command for "Startup Applications -> GNOME Login Sound", it should be like this:
    Code:
    Also, do you have a file named ".asoundrc" or similar in your home directory?
    Although this post is bit older: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421482
    Krytarik, here are the settings:

All my settings in "Preferences > Sound" are exactly the same on all other user accounts.

The "Alert Volume" is not "Mute" and the slider is set all the way to the left (would that be zero?). However, all other user accounts also have the "Preferences > Sound > Alert Volume" slider set all the way to the left -- their login sounds work OK, but not with my user account. In fact, it looks like the "Alert Volume" slider is set all the way to the left by default but that doesn't prevent the login sound to work, except for my user account

My "Startup Applications > GNOME Login Sound" is exactly like yours:
    Code:

I don't have a file named ".asoundrc" or similar in my home directory.

To find out where are the "Preferences > Sound" configuration settings saved, I opened the "Preferences > Sound" and changed the Sounds from "Ubuntu" to "No Sounds" and back to "Ubuntu". Then, from the GNOME Terminal I typed "find -mmin .5" to find files modified in the last 30 seconds. It looks like the "Preferences > Sound" configuration settings are saved in this XML file:
    Code:
    .gconf/desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf.xml
    . Here's the content of my
    Code:
    file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
        <entry name="input_feedback_sounds" mtime="1300570402" type="bool" value="false"/>
        <entry name="theme_name" mtime="1300630529" type="string">
            <stringvalue>ubuntu</stringvalue>
        </entry>
        <entry name="event_sounds" mtime="1300630529" type="bool" value="true"/>
    </gconf>
    And here's the content of the other user accounts'
    Code:
    file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
        <entry name="theme_name" mtime="1300587493" type="string">
            <stringvalue>ubuntu</stringvalue>
        </entry>
        <entry name="event_sounds" mtime="1300587493" type="bool" value="true"/>
    </gconf>
    I tried deleting my
    Code:
    file, it didn't make a difference. I tried replacing my
    Code:
    file content with the one from another user, no difference

I realize this is by no means a huge problem, but I'd like to know if this issue is caused by a bug or is it something I did? Regardless of the cause, this is bothering me and I'd really like to find the culprit.

Krytarik, by the way, I followed your advice from yesterday and changed my forum user name

Thank you in advance,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerke View Post
    The "Alert Volume" is not "Mute" and the slider is set all the way to the left (would that be zero?).
    Yeah, that means "zero". Just try sliding it to the middle.
    If you want to manually reset "gconf" settings, you can run a command like this:
    Code:
    gconftool --recursive-unset /desktop/gnome/sound
    But I don't believe that it helps in this case, thus I didn't mention it.
    Krytarik, by the way, I followed your advice from yesterday and changed my forum user name
    Cool, that was you!
    Last edited by Krytarik; March 20th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Yeah, that means zero. Just try sliding it to the middle.
    If you want to manually reset "gconf" settings, you can run a command like this:
    Code:
    gconftool --recursive-unset /desktop/gnome/sound
    But I don't believe that it helps in this case, thus I didn't mention it.
    Cool, that was you!
    Krytarik, I moved the Alert Volume slider to the middle and the login sound came back, loud and clear. All is well now

Thank you!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Krytarik, I moved the Alert Volume slider to the middle and the login sound came back, loud and clear. All is well now

Thank you!!!!
    You're welcome!

But what is indeed curious, is that the same setting apparently works in the other user accounts!