Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard not working while in GRUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Keyboard not working while in GRUB

Not sure if this is the best place for the question, seeing as it is likely to be a hardware fault, but I am near enough as new as can be to Linux, so I may very well need step by step instructions.

In short, my keyboard does not work until Ubuntu has booted, I found the error when I couldn't change option to boot from my Windows partition. I have tried both PS2 and USB keyboards and my case speaker, which usually beeps once just after being powered up did nothing, which is why I suspect it is a hardware fault.

I left my computer off this morning, after getting onto Windows fine and no one has had the opportunity to use my computer since I last did this morning. I have seen a thread in which someone fixed the problem by changing the keyboard setting from OS to BIOS, but I am not sure where or how they did this.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Just a reminder that I'm near enough completely new to Linux and the most I know about it is a few sudo codes using sudo)

(I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (I think it's the Lucid Lynx version, it's the only one I've seen around))

EDIT: I managed to load Windows by changing the highlighted OS on the GRUB interface but the keyboard wasn't working on Windows either. I read somewhere that in BIOS the keyboard control can be changed from BIOS to OS, could this be the problem in this case? And if so, how would I go about fixing it seeing as I can't use a keyboard until this point?
    Last edited by Davidthewin; March 18th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Re: Keyboard not working while in GRUB

Quote Originally Posted by Davidthewin View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place for the question, seeing as it is likely to be a hardware fault, but I am near enough as new as can be to Linux, so I may very well need step by step instructions.

In short, my keyboard does not work until Ubuntu has booted, I found the error when I couldn't change option to boot from my Windows partition. I have tried both PS2 and USB keyboards and my case speaker, which usually beeps once just after being powered up did nothing, which is why I suspect it is a hardware fault.

I left my computer off this morning, after getting onto Windows fine and no one has had the opportunity to use my computer since I last did this morning. I have seen a thread in which someone fixed the problem by changing the keyboard setting from OS to BIOS, but I am not sure where or how they did this.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Just a reminder that I'm near enough completely new to Linux and the most I know about it is a few sudo codes using sudo)

(I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (I think it's the Lucid Lynx version, it's the only one I've seen around))
    It seems like ma problem. I generally reboot my system so that keyboard works well while in GRUB and after some time it is hanged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have seen some threads with a similar problem that recommended that the original poster restore his GRUB, would that work here?

Rupak, I don't think its hanging, and it just doesn't work at all while in GRUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK so I changed the GRUB settings to load Windows first automatically and it turns out that the keyboard doesn't work when loading Windows either. I read somewhere that in BIOS the keyboard control can be changed from BIOS to OS, could this be the problem in this case? And if so, how would I go about fixing it seeing as I can't use a keyboard until this point?
    Last edited by Davidthewin; March 18th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Am I allowed to bump due to inactivity? If not, I would just like to ask whether anyone knows a good introductory guide to Ubuntu, reasonably comprehensive, such as keyboard shortcuts, some theory behind how it runs and specifically some information on terminal (there are several fragments I've seen, but nothing as comprehensive as I'd like)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

What computer do you have and what is the make of your BIOS ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is an Advent CPD1301 (It isn't stock so the model name isn't as important)

Motherboard is Foxconn A7VMX-S (not sure on the revision)

BIOS is American Megatrends INC Version 080014 Revision 8.14, it says "8042 Keyboard services are supported (int 14h0 and USB legacy is supported (used sudo dmidecode -t bios to find this)

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Is there an option to disable/enable legacy keyboard/mouse/input support in the BIOS ?

If there is change that option.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can't get into the BIOS as the keyboard does not work unless a version of Ubuntu is booted

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Hmmm. Yes could be a hardware fault. Could you get into the BIOS before installing Ubuntu ?

Kind regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast