Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnash, Flash, Youtube

Beans

Gnash, Flash, Youtube

I read somewhere that Flash Player doesn't work with Ubuntu (or Linux) for PPC and it should be better to use Gnash. I installed Gnash (although I don't know where it is... is there a place where to find installed applications outside the "Applications" menu?).

But when trying to view an Youtube it says that I should have Flash 10 or more; I thought Gnash would automatically do the job. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Gnash, Flash, Youtube

Have you tried installing flashplugin-nonfree from medibuntu repository? Try to load the medibuntu repos and then try to install flashplugin-nonfree.

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
    I read somewhere that Flash Player doesn't work with Ubuntu (or Linux) for PPC and it should be better to use Gnash. I installed Gnash (although I don't know where it is... is there a place where to find installed applications outside the "Applications" menu?).

But when trying to view an Youtube it says that I should have Flash 10 or more; I thought Gnash would automatically do the job. Any ideas?
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cantormath View Post
    Have you tried installing flashplugin-nonfree from medibuntu repository? Try to load the medibuntu repos and then try to install flashplugin-nonfree.
    Don't waste your time with this suggestion, as there is no ppc flash for linux. Cantormath's suggestion works for intel-based macs, not power pc ones.

Gnash has come a long way, but it doesn't do well enough to play YouTube videos in place. For me, I've used the Download Helper add-on for Firefox, and in the process converted the video to a format that VLC (my favorite) can handle. Others will have their suggestions, and it's a matter of preference in most cases. Good luck.

Beans

Take you pick from the options shown here. I assume the same packages are in Ubuntu,
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51504

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Don't waste your time with this suggestion, as there is no ppc flash for linux. Cantormath's suggestion works for intel-based macs, not power pc ones.
    True, there is no Adobe Flash for PowerPC Linux but there are two free open source projects aiming to create a functional alternative, gnash and swfdec. It is still good to use the medibuntu codecs, I believe medibuntu has ppc codecs.

I wonder if the mozilla-plugin-vlc or totem-mozilla packages work with youtube for their mp4 content.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans

Having flawed flash options stops some websites from falling back to a functional non-flash alternative. You just have broken. For me it is better to go flash-free. Probably depends what you are using the ppc for...

Beans

I installed gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash from the ppc repos and mostly youtube works fine, even in-place.

You have to forget DRM stuff like BBC iPlayer though.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Installing mozilla-plugin-gnash let me watch youtube videos on my PowerMac g5.
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Smile Re: Gnash, Flash, Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post

do you have gnash 0.8.9 installed ? i installed that on my eMac that i put Xubuntu 11.04 on and it works great. also install ubuntu-restricted-extras along with Gnash and that should
    do it for you . also, DRM based flash content doesn't work with Gnash, so if your trying to watch BBC or something like that, it won't work.
    Last edited by linuxftw3; May 1st, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

Beans

Hi, I am having a difficult time following the recommendations posted here to address the flash problems encountered by power pc users. I am using an ibook g4 power pc. I have Ubuntu 11.4 running on it and it works exceptionally well. However I cannot understand what I should do to watch a youtube video. Currently all I receive is a message indicating that I have to install flash. Can someone please post a very simple set of steps?

Thanks!
    -e

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast