Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the default wm of startx

Beans

Changing the default wm of startx

I'll use i3-wm, just want to know how can I start it instead of gnome using startx.

By the way, where can I get detailed info on X? I am a little confused, don't really understand what startx really starts, what X is and what does it do, how to config... This kind of thing.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Changing the default wm of startx

When you start and get to GDM click on your user name, or enter it, then at the bottom panel you should see a 'sessions' tab click it and choose i3-wm.

As for startx it starts the x-server and what ever is in your ~/.xinitrc file

Beans

Thanks, I was able to do it.

But something is troubling me. The default xinitrc file located in /etc/X11/ didn't had any reference to gnome. How come it was the default environment to be loaded?

Beans

Gnome starts X, not the other way around. There is a script called gdm which does a few "gnome"-ey things and then kicks off X, the does some more "gnome"-ey things.

You can get rid of gdm but then you'll have to start X some other way, usually with startx.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lithopsian View Post
    Gnome starts X, not the other way around. There is a script called gdm which does a few "gnome"-ey things and then kicks off X, the does some more "gnome"-ey things.

You can get rid of gdm but then you'll have to start X some other way, usually with startx.
    I already took care of gdm, but in a awkward way. I appended ".bkp" to the files gdm and gdm.conf. Before that I tried using the command

Code:
    update-rc.d -f gdm remove
    But gnome restarted the same after the boot.

Is there a "most correct" method than mine?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First, please revert your changes! Then, if you really want to boot into the command line instead of GDM, follow this guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9644518

Btw.: You have to differentiate between "Gnome" and "GDM". In fact Gnome is run *after* X. When you run GDM, it starts X, then when you choose Gnome at the login screen and login, GDM starts a X window session with Gnome.

Beans

Thanks!

But I have another problem now... If I run i3 directly, there's no sound. If I run gdm first, then the sound works.
    It seems that gdm configure some things before loading the X environment. Is there a way of knowing that so I can put it in my .xinitrc file?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KeiNivky View Post
    Thanks!

But I have another problem now... If I run i3 directly, there's no sound. If I run gdm first, then the sound works.
    It seems that gdm configure some things before loading the X environment. Is there a way of knowing that so I can put it in my .xinitrc file?
    Add this to .xinitrc. It will log errors.

Code:
    exec i3 -V >>~/.i3/i3log >&1

Beans

More problems...

I tried that. In the first two tries it complained about the "&". In the third it runned, but went to a black screen. And now I can't enter i3 via startx, to do so I must run gdm first and select it there.

When I run startx, it goes to a black screen and stays there... The only way the get out is to type ctrl+alt+f1. Way back to the terminal a message is popping periodically, on and on, "No protocol specified".
    After that if I run startx again I get
    "xauth: error in locking authority file /home/fkei/.Xauthority"

By the way, it didn't put info on the i3log file.

I have no idea why this started to happen. I already reinstalled i3 and also deleted my i3 config file to check if it's an error of it...
    I left only the line "exec i3" and still doesn't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Try this in ~/.xinitrc:
    Code:
    exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch ---sh-syntax -exit-with-session i3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast