Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: headphones stopped working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10

    headphones stopped working

    Hi, I installed Ubuntu Maverick on my Toshiba Satellite. Originally it worked perfectly, but I wanted to remove GDM and start in TTY console mode and enter X11 via "startx". This broke my system, though it always worked on Debian. I am generally a stable Debian user on Desktop, but Ubuntu works better with WIFI and ethernet work better in Ubuntu on a laptop.

    Anyway, originally the headphones worked and I watched youtube with them. Then I broke the system by removing "GDM" from /etc/X11/default-display-manager (dont try this in Ubuntu! It works in Debian though.). Anyway. so my system quit working, and I installed Slackware. I found Slackware could not deal with headphones. The sound came out of both headphones and normal speakers. There were other issues with Slackware on Toshiba laptop, so I reinstalled Ubuntu. behold, now the headphones no longer output any sound, whereas previously with the same Maverick release it worked fine.

    I have tried many things and it is a pure mystery. I am considering upgrading Alsa driver but damn that is a big deal sort of and since the headphones worked before with the same distro, I think Slackware must have done something to me BIOS and turned off the headphones, but normal speakers still work.

    (BTW, my BIOS are a crappy kind called InsydeH20, which have no audio controls in them!)

    Thanks for any help on this strange mystery! LSPCI in the terminal shows this:

    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

    I think ICH9 family is a rather new type.

    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

    Upgrade alsa to .24? That might have no effect whatsoever, but then have to install build-essential and all that, and that only problem is no sound from headphones. Otherwise Ubuntu runs perfectly on the Toshiba Satellite C650 Series, brand new.
    Last edited by subverted; March 16th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: headphones stopped working

    Okay I fixed it. Found some new information. Apparently the chipset is more important than sound card info. So from the gnome-alsamixer so alsamixer which tells the chipset "Conexant CX20585" for me. This led me to the right fix here: http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/audio_intel_hda#acer as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...eadphones+work. I tried this before but was using the card information rather than chipset. This crap about Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) isnt useful.

    This worked: "options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad", but I dont have a Thinkpad! But Thinkpad uses conexant chipset. So I have gathered this is a chipset issue.
    Last edited by subverted; March 18th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •