Thread: Animate Drawings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Animate Drawings

My wife is an excellent artist and has been contemplating doing a kid's book. She had a chat with me the other night about if it would be possible to animate some of her work using apps available in Ubuntu and making a digital kid's book instead, if you follow me. She has been using Ubuntu for a few years so is no newcomer but a user only, not a tweaker like myself! She is wanting to animate some of her drawings and set them on backgrounds, etc. 2D would probably be what she's after but all 3D suggestions gratefully accepted.

Now, I know this stuff is out there but not being a visual artist myself wouldn't know what is best for her purpose (although I have found plenty of animation apps!).

So, thought the best place to start would be with those who know how. All suggestions welcome and please ask if any more detail is required. She is prepared for the learning curve.

All the best ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Animate Drawings

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    2D would probably be what she's after but all 3D suggestions gratefully accepted.

All suggestions welcome
    For 2D with a focus on toon animation, try ktoon (it's in the repos, but the latest version will have to be downloaded and compiled).

For 3D, the de-facto tool is Blender.

I have no experience with either of these; this is just a pointer in the direction to take.

Good luck.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Pencil in the ubuntu software center seems nice and simple and very effective at sketching out animation. Synfig studio also in the software center is a bit more complex but very powerfully. If you have a camera 'stop motion' works alright. Happy animating
    Last edited by PrivateSNAFU; March 16th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've made a number of animated GIFs using the GIMP. You build the animation as a series of layers, then save to GIF. You can optimize the file size using a special GIF animation tool as well. In addition, there's a package called GAP that installs inside GIMP and provides additional animation capabilities. You can install both the gimp and gimp-gap packages from the repositories.

For drawing, your wife should take a look at Inkscape. It's in the repositories as well. A quick Google search suggests it works with Wacom tablets in Linux.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 16th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

Depending on the type of animation you are wanting to do

How many Frames it consists of ..... and what size ..... and how you are going to display it

There is Ktoon and Pencil .... Link to my first attempt using this that I did for The New Year

which is pretty easy to use and has the onion skin option to make it easy from one frame to the next ......

There is Gimp .... which I use with Blender 3D animations .... each frame is saved individually saved
    into the /tmp folder ....... so you just load em all up as frames into Gimp - instant animation.

It will take time with all these packages to learn how to create things .....

once the layers are saved as a Gif file ..... and this can be easily resized to suit spead of loading on the web .....
    obviously the smaller the size the more frames you can have and still get a reasonable playback .....

There is Blender and in it they can be saved directly as Movie files or single frames as I said for use with Gimp.

There are also packages that I started on like Synfig ..... but I rarely use these either because they were too difficult to work with or because they did not suit what I am trying to do ....... but that's not to say they will not do what you want.

The thing I find is to try them and find one that suits your way of working ...... but if you
    do use them join the relative forums for each one ...... and that way you can get help
    from the experts in each one .......

Best of luck with whatever you go for ......
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 17th, 2011 at 04:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks heaps for all your input people. Some incredible stuff out there. And thanks for the examples 23dornot23d. Great stuff and shows us the potential.

Now, the idea of the graphics tablet is sounding good ...

About to install all said apps and see what gives. Thanks again, everyone.

Beans

Cheers Bucky Ball

Have just had a quiick play with the latest synfig studio and its looking good .....

This also creates videos so looks like it may be a great one to learn ....
    I have just started with the video tutorials and it seems relatively easy too ....

I will post to the link I posted earlier if I find anything new on it that may come in useful .....

for learning how to use it ..... ok all for now .... have fun ....