Thread: basic technical minecraft server questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question basic technical minecraft server questions

Hi, I've searched for answers to this, but I can't find anything about it. I know there are at least a few minecraft server ops here, so maybe someone can give me some clues.

I want to make a server for some friends and me to play on. The server runs, and I can login from afar, so I know the IP address is being forwarded properly.

When I play on it, it runs okay and I can do whatever I want, but when I shut the server down, all progress is lost. I come back the next day and it's like I was never there.

How do I solve this issue?

I'm running Minecraft Beta Server 1.3
    and Minecraft Beta 1.3_01.

I'm running the server in a ramdrive to minimize lag as per instructions found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...minecraft+cron

I have Back In Time installed as per those instructions, but I don't know how to set it so it backs up the world files or restores them before playing.

Can anyone give me some advice or instructions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: basic technical minecraft server questions

Here is a link in the Minecraft Forums that explain in depth all the ins and outs for setting up a Minecraft server in Linux. This particular guide was set up in Ubuntu 9.10.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=628
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Beans
    Distro

It also appears to be on a VPS, which is a little rich for my blood. It also says nothing about how to backup or restore data, since I assume the dedicated service does this for you.

Unless I missed something.

People keep suggesting dedicated servers to me, but they don't explain why. The minecraft server software takes up 9.4 megs (so far), so it isn't a hard drive hog. There's a guy on the Ubuntu Forums here running a server on his home network using a machine with 2 gigs on it, so it clearly isn't a memory hog.

This leaves bandwidth. Does minecraft require a lot of bandwidth per player? If so, how much?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wog View Post

This leaves bandwidth. Does minecraft require a lot of bandwidth per player? If so, how much?

Which brings us to
    http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

Input your connection speed and it will tell you how many players would be able to connect to your server at a time. Also check out the minecraft forums..... they have loads of threads about hosting servers in linux.
    Chase

Beans
    Distro

That is a beautiful concept for a site! I'm glad someone thought of it, and thank you for telling me about it!

I just wish that when it came back and told you that you can't run a minecraft server because you don't have enough ram, it actually gave you a recommendation for how much ram you need at a minimum for how many people.

This either means they want you to spam their site with multiple requests, or they didn't think this whole recommendation site through very well.