Thread: Problems setting up router

Beans

Problems setting up router

Hey guys,

I previously ran an Apple Time Capsule router without any problems. I plugged it in, and it just worked. My roommate moved out and took the router with him, so I'm trying to set up a Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 wireless router. I'm not looking to connect wirelessly, just wired.

Do I need to change any settings? Please help.

Lou

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Problems setting up router

I would change the administrative user name & password. Make sure the firewall is on and turn the wireless off if you're not going to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by homieg9999 View Post
    Hey guys,

I previously ran an Apple Time Capsule router without any problems. I plugged it in, and it just worked. My roommate moved out and took the router with him, so I'm trying to set up a Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 wireless router. I'm not looking to connect wirelessly, just wired.

Do I need to change any settings? Please help.

Lou
    I'd type 192.168.1.1 in your URL bar which is the default Linksys router IP and will take you to your router settings.
    Default username is admin
    There is no default password.

I would change the user name and password and set a wireless passkey (that's strong) so that no one can connect to your router via wireless and change your router settings or something themselves.

You can also browse settings and what not yourself and play around with it.

Beans

Thanks for the replies.

I've been to 192.168.1.1, logged in, but don't know what to change from there to get it working. What now?

Lou

Beans
    Hidden!

If you just want 'working'... DHCP should already be enabled. If you plug a computer into it, it should hand out an IP and your off. I'd still poke around through all the menus and change the user/pass. Even if they don't know it, there are sites that list default user/pass for popular models of routers.

Besides that, wireless security and QoS are the only things I touch. You're not running wireless so that's out. QoS, well I'd leave that alone for now as it's not really needed.
    Antec900, AMDX6 1090t, nVidia GTS450, PCPower&C 750W Silencer, Corsair H70, OCZ Vertex2, Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3.
    Win7, Ubuntu10.04, Linux Mint.
    And two cats that make me glad I have an air compressor.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the replies.

I've been to 192.168.1.1, logged in, but don't know what to change from there to get it working. What now?

Lou
    My Linksys experience is with a WRT-54GL. Once you log onto the router, you may have a page with several tabs. One of the tabs was administration. That was where to change the router name & password. The wireless tab was where to enable or disable wireless. If you click around, you should be able to find what you want. Nothing will change unless you click 'save changes'. You're not going to break anything; worst case there's a little red reset button on the back which will return everything to factory defaults.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; March 16th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

After trying everybody's suggestion, I've come to the conclusion that it's a broken router. The lights light up, but something must not be working. I'm going to try a new router at some point and see if that works.

Beans
    Distro

After trying everybody's suggestion, I've come to the conclusion that it's a broken router. The lights light up, but something must not be working. I'm going to try a new router at some point and see if that works.
    If you're so inclined, you could try reloading/reflashing/whatever. Maybe take a look in Linksys' support topics if you haven't done so.