Thread: Installing Encrypted LVM freezes computer at POST

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Installing Encrypted LVM freezes computer at POST

I installed Ubuntu Lucid on a Hewlett Packard HP pavilion 700 this morning using a method for encrypting all but the boot files as found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205372&highlight=cryptsetup.

Now, I start the computer and it hangs at the HP splash screen. I press F1 to get into the BIOS and it never gets there. I can't use a live CD of any distribution to get into the box to try to undo the changes to disk.

I have performed the same encrypted install on 4 different computers now without trouble. When this first happened this morning, I was able to get into the BIOS once and the hard drive that I installed ubuntu on was not even detected. I thought there was a problem with the hard drive and I put a different hard drive in, installed Ubuntu again, and ended up with the same problem.

Has anyone seen this happen? How can I rescue my system? Is this going to happen if I switch over to debian? How can I upgrade to Lucid and have system encryption on this box if this is going to happen???
    Last edited by opus1; March 12th, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed link

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Encrypted LVM freezes computer at POST

as a follow up: This was never truly solved in ubuntu. What I ended up doing was installing the latest (at the time) Debian and doing the same encryption scheme. The Debian install worked fine. So, I'm choosing not to mark this as "solved" because I couldn't find an Ubuntu solution.