Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

Beans

Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

Hi all,

thank you for very useful information I will (I hope need in some time. But my first problem is, that I still can not install Ubuntu 11.04 on my U36JS!

I'm trying to use a 8 GB USB stick, made in Unetbootin. It shows me the grub suggesting to install Ubuntu or run it without installation, but I can do neither - I get the blank black screen hanging and hanging and hanging, and nothing more...
    Probably it is not possible to use a stick? Or the problem is caused by NVIDIA Optima?

I am very new in Linux, and I would appreciate your help very much... Thank you in advance and excuse me for a silly question.

Beans

For the USB3/MSI topic I created a bugreport in launchpad.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/797455

Beans

anyone managed to get VAAPI working 100% on this laptop ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thank you Menthu_Rae!! what an incredible and helpful tutorial are you giving us!
    I was very sad with my new Asus U36JC and Ubuntu 11.04, thought I'll never be using it with so many hardware drawbacks. Now it works almost like a charm (just waiting for a nvidia optimus workaround)

Beans

Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit

A big huge thanks for this. Everything is working the way I would like now. And I have a happy, happy laptop.

Beans

I think for any future updates, they should be added to the Wiki/Community Help page for the U36Jc:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC

If I get some time over the next few days I'll see if I can update the page with the info from this guide and others can add to it with their experiences/expertise (looking at sarahsharp from Intel here! )

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsharp View Post
    Why are you unbinding the xHCI driver on suspend? Does the Fresco Logic host controller not support suspend? It should.
    Am I allowed to say I'm not sure why? As mentioned in the initial post- the guide was hobbled together from other guides to make something that works for the U36Jc and Ubuntu 11.04.

I only have what I would consider a relatively basic understanding of Linux, but I do have a determination to make things work!

Back when I wrote the original post - I think I was one of the first people to have nearly everything up and running in Ubuntu 11.04 on the U36Jc, or at least one of the first to write about it.

If anyone thinks anything I'm doing isn't the best way or isn't right - I'm extremely happy to learn why and would appreciate the input!

I'm the USB 3.0 kernel maintainer, and I'd like to help get out-of-the-box support in Natty for your host controller. Can you please contact the Linux USB mailing list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org> and cc me (Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com>) when you have issues with USB? That way we can fix your problems rather than you having to work around them.
    Good to know someone with your skills and expertise is on the case/job - but is this the best way to get things done? I think most users on here would report the bug on launchpad... I don't know about other users on here but for me, mailing lists seem quite inefficient as a method for solving bugs? Maybe I just think this because I don't use them at all...

But yeah... what in your opinion is the best procedure to follow to ensure that as Ubuntu end-users our USB bugs get solved?

I'm looking for someone to test the following patch against the stock Ubuntu 11.04 kernel, *without* adding the pci=nomsi to their boot parameters:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=130704257816957&w=2

That should make it so you don't need to boot with the pci=nomsi parameter. I don't know if that will help with any suspend issues you are experiencing.
    What's involved with testing the patch?

Beans

Hello there,

thanks for the work done already!

Does the vga port work with the intel card and nvidia disabled?

If yes, does it work to enable vga without restarting x?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lonefoxking View Post
    Hello...

first of all thank you for your effort, its really amazing what u did.

The thing is I followed on step by step on disabling the nVidia, but now when I load kubuntu i get the main screen loading then after a while before the login page shows up, the screen turns black and there is nothing i can do, I logged to fail safe, tried to revert the settings by deleting all the files i created and re-editing the files, but nothing... i still get this black screen.

How can I revert or fix this?? can you please help?

cheers
    I've had a similar problem. During booting, the screen always goes black and sometimes, the booting just stops.

The problem comes from the late boot splash, as explained in the U36 setup guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC), combined with Ubuntu's disk checking routine during booting. If a hard disk error is detected, Ubuntu shows a message asking the user what it should do (check disk, proceed, ...). However, if the boot splash is too late, this message is not shown, instead the screen remains black. However, Ubuntu is still waiting for the answer... Thus, nothing happens.

The solution is to perform the boot splash correction from the setup guide:

Boot splash

As usual with Intel cards, Plymouth boot splash will show too late in the boot process. If you want it to appear earlier, type this in a console window:

sudo echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
    sudo update-initramfs -u

You might get a little bit slower boot, but it will look much consistent (IMHO).

Beans

Unhappy Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

hi, I followed all of these instruction to tune up my U36JC's battery usage but when I restarted the laptop, Ubuntu screen turned black. Do you have any idea how to fix it? Thank you. Anyway, I install the stable 11.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Everything went fine until I got to the command "sudo apt-get install gtk-v4l". When I run this command, I get the message "Unable to locate package gtk-v4l". Note that I added the repository OK and that I was able to install libv4l-0.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast