• System Settings

20 22.22%
  • KDE Control Centre

70 77.78%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE Control Centre versus System Settings

Beans

KDE Control Centre versus System Settings

I was just wondering how many Kubuntu users stick with System Settings and how many use the KDE Control Centre.

Personally, I much prefer kcontrol because:
    • it has more modules
    • all the modules are in a single list
    • the grouping of modules is more intuitive (to me)
    I realise that systemsettings is supposed to be more user friendly, but I'm wondering if real users actually find it easier to use. Personally, I find the whole "Show All" interface unintuitive.

I am in no way trying to start an argument: everyone is free to use whichever they choose. And on that note, GNOME users need not reply. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GNOME users don't approve of either massive nested multipart configuration dialogue.
    Last edited by Parkotron; May 5th, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: KDE Control Centre versus System Settings

It's funny that you ask this, because I just did a base install of Ubuntu, so that I could get a really stripped down version of KDE. I also prefer kcontrol, but mainly because that's what I'm used to. People new to KDE that are familar with Windows probably would be more comfortable with the Kubuntu System Settings layout though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why do I want to keep pressing the Back button all the time? So I can have one of the worst features in Mac OS X creep on to KDE? No, thanks. OS X has a lot of good things going for it, but the usability of System Preferences is not one of them. KControl all the way...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't understood the goodness of System Settings. Using kcontrol makes it easier to look around and find configurations and what aysiu said about the backbutton is so true. System Settings is non-configuration friendly!

Beans

Stupid question, how do you get rid of System Settings and install Kcontrol ??

I tried doing it via adept but now i have a systems setting folder in the menu and no kcontrol ???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips
    Stupid question, how do you get rid of System Settings and install Kcontrol ??
    You don't have to install it. Just press Alt-F2 and type
    Code:
    kcontrol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I did not know that there was such a thing as kcontrol until i tried a knopixx live Cd (I think) and discovered that system setting was a kubuntu thing. I guess is a things that people are use to it, but I did not like it and I guess I understand why they change it and yes I was just coming from windows and that might be the reason I like it better.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I did not know that there was such a thing as kcontrol until i tried a knopixx live Cd (I think) and discovered that system setting was a kubuntu thing. I guess is a things that people are use to it, but I did not like it...
    What is it you don't like? For me(concerning systemview) it is the lack of fast getting a overlook of what you can configure. I loos grip of where I am and also...system settings doesn't include all configurations(this might get better later). With kcontrol I feel that all configurations are at my fingertip and I can easy/fast change from one configmodule to another.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tikal26
    yes I was just coming from windows and that might be the reason I like it better.
    Could be. But when I switched from Windows to Mepis last year, I loved the Control Center. There was no "God, I wish it looked more like the Windows Control Panel" urge within me. In fact--even in Windows--I'll switch the Control Panel to the "classic view."

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

In Windows, I always enabled the Start Menu / Control Panel sub menu. Why waste time with a window you don't need?
    Hang in there. It gets better...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast