Thread: Use home server as proxy when abroad?

Beans

Question Use home server as proxy when abroad?

At home I have an Ubuntu 10.10 Server which is my fileserver and squeezebox server for my home LAN.

My home internet connection is a 10/10Gbit fiber (soon to be upgraded to 25/25, I was told by my ISP).

How hard is it for me (I'm not too technical) to make my home server a proxy for surfing through when I am abroad?

The thing is: our national broadcaster (www.nrk.no) broadcasts live streaming TV, but only to IP addresses in Norway. When I am travelling abroad, I would like to use my home server as a proxy in order to be able to receive these streams as if I was on my home IP address (more or less like the services offered from the US in order to make it possible for non-US people to watch hulu.com etc.)

I would prefer a proxy setup, instead of slingbox or similar.

I tried searching the forums, but if there are solutions I missed I apologize.

Thanks,
    Christopher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

SOCKS proxy

Your searches turned up nothing because the task is very easy -- once you know how.

If you run the OpenSSH server on your home box, then you can connect to it as a SOCKS proxy with the -D option.

You would configure your browser to use the proxy on the local host on port 8080 or any other port you choose.

Code:
      ssh -D 8080 -l myloginname xx.yy.zz.aa
    For that to work you have to have SSH (port 22) visible from outside on your home machine so that you can make the connection.

Beans

Re: SOCKS proxy

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    You would configure your browser to use the proxy on the local host on port 8080 or any other port you choose.

Code:
      ssh -D 8080 -l myloginname xx.yy.zz.aa
    Thank you very much!