Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: pSX 1.13 on Lucid/Maverick (i386/amd64)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arrow HOW TO: Playstation Emulation (pSX 1.13) on 10.04/10.10/11.04 (i386/amd64)

THIS WILL NOT WORK ON NATTY (11.04). PSX DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO WORK ON NATTY AND BEYOND. YOU CAN TRY SOMETHING ELSE, SUCH AS PCSXR, FOUND HERE: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/
    PLEASE DON'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PACKAGE ON NATTY OR ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT PCSXR ON THIS THREAD.

Thank you

This is download thread to install playstation emulation (with pSX 1.13) on 10.04/10.10/11.04 (Lucid/Maverick/Natty) for 32 bit/64 bit (i386/amd64)

Last Updated (April 12th) The package should work on Natty but the Software claims it's bad quality. Just hit ignore and install it anyway, I don't see any issue, though you may have to run sudo apt-get -f install after installing.

A while ago dfreer posted a thread with pSX packages to install and make pSX 1.13 work on hardy and intrepid , but these are out of date and do not work on Lucid nor Maverick. After about an hour of playing with it, I got it working. I directly modified his packages, so kudos to dfreer.

Anyway, I uploaded the deb files for both i386 (32bit) and amd64 (64bit), I compressed them because the forums didn't let me post the deb files directly. Let me know either don't work. If you have issues with the debs, I uploaded another tar thats just the pSX folder (pSX_1.13-3.3.tar.gz). Just extract it and run the pSX-launcher.sh

Please also note that lib32gtkglext1_1.2.0-3.2-amd64.deb (included in amd64 compressed file) must be installed for 64bit/amd64 systems. This is not needed for 32bit systems. If it says you can't install libgtkglext1-dev (Similar to Rytron's post), download the deb here: >click here<, or find it on launchpad

PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE SOUND ISSUES: pSX requires having a playstation bios file to run. I can't legally supply you with one, so just google it. Also while running, due to a conflict with pSX and pulseaudio, pulseaudio is disabled while running pSX. This may make any program using it crash and will probably make the mixer/sound volume control unavailable while pSX is running. It should return to normal when pSX is closed. If not, close any program currently using sound. If that doesn't work, hit alt+f2 and type in "pulseaudio" (without quotes).

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mystro256; July 29th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

Re: HOW TO: pSX 1.13 on Lucid/Maverick (i386/amd64)

Worked perfectly. Thanks.

Beans

Been looking for this for awhile. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi when i installed in my ubuntu maverick i got the following photos. Please see attach photos

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/psxerrorinmaverick.png/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: HOW TO: pSX 1.13 on Lucid/Maverick (i386/amd64)

Hi Mystro256. I went to install deb package and got message 'Cannot install 'libgtkglext1-dev' I went to install that item in synaptic but could not.
    Last edited by Rytron; March 14th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

Hi all...

I've been trying to use psx over the last couple of days on my 32/64-bit boxes.

It doesn't work on the 32-bit - I get the same messages as jao_madn reported in the above post, although I have no trouble installing other packages so I am guessing either there is something wrong with this 32-bit package or I do not know enough to fix it (probably the latter).

It works on the 64-bit but not so good that I want to keep it. I have removed the package but every time I restart the computer, pulseaudio does not start (and the associated 'speaker' icon in the tray does not appear) so I have to manually do ALT+F2 and load pulseaudio.

I have 6 Ubuntu boxes and I have compared the contents of their Startup Applications; it seems that all the right entries are present and enabled but it looks like installing psx has changed something else that was not put right when it was removed.

Anyone know what has happened and how to fix it?

These are the only two entries relating to pulseaudio that are present on every computer I have:

THANKS!

Beans
    Distro

@shade82000

Yeah, I've noticed it randomly installs broken on some systems. I have no idea why because it works on both my 64 bit and 32 bit system (maverick and lucid respectively).

As well as I said specifically in my first post in red. If pulse audio does not start, you must add a new entry to the start up programs with the command "pulse audio" (i'll edit the first post to reduce confusion). The launch script for psx kills pulse audio while running psx and disables autospawn functionity to pulseaudio, thus must be started manually. You can always re-enable autospawn by typing this in the terminal:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.pulse/client.conf
    (or replace gedit with kwrite for KDE and mousepad for XFCE) and remove the line that states "autospawn = no" (this is a per user setting)

EDIT: I uploaded another archive that's not an package, for those who have issues with installing the packages.

@Rytron

Try googling the package and find the deb file via the internet. If you're using 64 bit, I included it with the 64bit download.
    Last edited by Mystro256; March 17th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Beans

Thanks for your help Mystro.

Changing the autospawn setting makes the volume control appear without having to add any additional entries into Startup Applications.

I figured that the workaround you suggested in your first post was good if people want to keep psx installed but in my case I wanted to remove it and return my system back to how it was and did not see that I should need to add additional Startup Applications that weren't there prior to installing psx.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

I got the same problem as jao_madn so I tried the .bz2 file and tried running it and it warns me that I have a BIOS problem. Any suggestions to remedy these issues?

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately the emulator requires a PS1 bios to run. Due to legality issues, I probably can't tell you where to find one on these forums, but remember, google is your friend

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast