Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: pSX 1.13 on Lucid/Maverick (i386/amd64)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOW TO: pSX 1.13 on Lucid/Maverick (i386/amd64)

Cool cool, I'll update the launcher in the deb's and tarball, and upload in the first post. Just need to repackage the debs, so I'll post it when I'm done. I'll also change the version number of the debs, so it's regarded as an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

When I start the program, my computer goes silent. The game I have seems to play fine, but no sound. Also, the configuration screen is not accessible. When I go to the config option, the window closes instantly. I made an account at the developer's forum to report it there, but it needs to be manually approved of, so I'm posting here in the meantime.

In regards to the sound though, I have a bash script that is always playing a music file generally. When the pSX program starts up, my bash script is terminated in the middle of a mplayer call (playing all the .mp3 files in that directory in a random order), and it seems to hang. I usually just go back to that terminal after I've closed pSX and ctrl+c out of it and start it up again afterwards.

I'm also not sure if this is related or not, but I use an HDMI device for my sound, not the standard output; so its potentially possible for the sound to be correctly output, just not through the HDMI cable, and thus I'm not hearing it.

On another side note, I haven't been able to run it from the command line, but the launcher seems to work just fine. The command line output is below.

Code:
    $: /usr/local/games/psx32/pSX
    /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(pSX:14596): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(pSX:14596): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

[src/linux/sound.cpp, line 215]: 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle,hwparams,SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED)' returned 'Invalid argument'
    Segmentation fault
    $:

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure if I can make it work with the configuration screen to be honest, it seems really hit and miss

The sound issue is because either alsa isn't installed or does not work properly.

Beans

running natty amd64 and cant get to run. deb doesn't run on my machine and tarball brings this
    Code:
    ./pSX-launcher.sh
    lsof: WARNING: can't opendir(/dev/vboxusb): Permission denied
    Terminating processes: 1639lsof: WARNING: can't opendir(/dev/vboxusb): Permission denied
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/run/alsa': Permission denied
    /sbin/alsa: Warning: Failed to create /var/run/alsa/. 
    /sbin/alsa: Warning: Not keeping list of removed modules because /var/run/alsa is absent.
    It will not be possible automatically to reload these modules. 
    Unloading ALSA sound driver modules:/sbin/alsa: 219: cannot create /var/run/alsa/modules-removed: Directory nonexistent
     snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-codec-conexant snd-seq-midi snd-hda-intel snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc.
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/run/alsa': Permission denied
    Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

(pSX:6576): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(pSX:6576): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

pad=0
    ./pSX-launcher.sh: line 10:  6576 Segmentation fault      ./pSX
    or this
    Code:
    sh pSX-launcher.sh
    /sbin/alsa: 219: cannot create /var/run/alsa/modules-removed: Permission denied

(pSX:6869): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(pSX:6869): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

pad=0
    Segmentation fault
    pSX-launcher.sh: 14: disown: not found
    running as sudo gets the language box to show up but no further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey there everyone, I have a (at least I suppose to be) different error here... =X

What I did was to try to install the 32 bits version of libgtkg using dpkg -i --force-architecture, but it didn't allow me because of broken dependencies... Now, when I tried to install the package on the Archive for AMD64, it gives me this error...

Code:
    installArchives() failed: dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libgtkglext1_1.2.0-1.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack): 
     libgtkglext1: 1.2.0-1.1ubuntu1 (Multi-Arch: no) is not co-installable with libgtkglext1:i386 1.2.0-1ubuntu1 (Multi-Arch: no) which is currently installed 
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    Errors were encountered while processing: 
     /var/cache/apt/archives/libgtkglext1_1.2.0-1.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb 
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgtkglext1:i386: 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libc6 (>= 2.1.3). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.13.3). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.21.3). 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libsm6. 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libx11-6. 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libxmu6. 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on libxt6. 
     libgtkglext1:i386 depends on zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4). 
    dpkg: error processing libgtkglext1:i386 (--configure): 
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured 
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of lib32gtkglext1: 
     lib32gtkglext1 depends on libgtkglext1 (>= 1.2.0); however: 
      Package libgtkglext1 is not installed. 
    dpkg: error processing lib32gtkglext1 (--configure): 
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    If you guys can help me, I tried using aptitude remove(purge) libgtkg... but it didn't work =/

I'm on Ubuntu Natty 64bits on a Dell Laptop (which I was able to run the emulator before formatting the computer T-T)

Thanks in advance o/

Beans
    Distro

I'm not surprised, it doesn't seem to work on Natty too well (hence "Lucid/Maverick" in the title).

One reason is due to the new version of alsa seems to have broke my script because of one of the commands needs sudo privileges. I would implement this but it's a bad idea, as no one should ever run something as sudo unless they know exactly what it does.

If you still want to run it on Natty, get the tarball off my first post (pSX_1.13-3.3.tar.gz) and change the launcher script to this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #disable pulseaudio first
    #disables auto

echo "autospawn = no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf
    sleep 1

gksudo alsa force-reload
    sleep 1
    ./pSX
    sleep 1
    rm ~/.pulse/client.conf
    pulseaudio &
    disown

exit

Use at your own risk: Now just run the script, though I can't guarantee it to work. Oneiric will have gnome 3, which seem uncombatible with pSX, so I doubt I'll be about to make another work around. PSX works with wine though, it's not perfect but better than nothing. Feel free to contact the creator of pSX to bug him to fix these issues or at least release the source code: http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/
    Last edited by Mystro256; July 9th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was able to run PSXfin with this fix you said... The only thing is, it had no sound (I think that was expected xD) and if I ever try to open the configuration window, it gives a segmentation fault and closes the emulator =X

About wine, I tried to open my windows version, and I got this error in a pop up window:
    Code:
     ERROR Failed to find a valid mode (perhaps you need to switch your desktop to 32bit mode?)
    Would it be worth it to install a VM with Maverick to have it running fine? When I was on Maverick I was able to make it run by myself, just by preventing pulse from re-spawning XD

Beans
    Distro

Yeah that's what my script does, but it seems like its no good for Natty, and I can't get it working with gnome 3, so I doubt I can help get it working for Oneiric either. As for the sound issue you mentioned, you need to make sure ALSA is running properly, but else wise I would give up on it.

Also, I can't seem to get it working in wine too well either, way too many issues :S
    You could try ePSXe via wine, but I never got that working all that well in windows, let alone wine, so I can't be much help.

Anyway, I ran it in Virtualbox OSE, and seems to work just fine, but I can't figure out how to get my gamepad working with virtualbox, so it doesn't help too much for me personally. Although there are way's around that, which I haven't looked into, but I haven't done any research quite yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Virtualbox OSE? What's that? XD

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and the information, even if it wasn't a solution, at least now I know more about this PSX case on Linux.

Beans
    Distro

No problem!

As for Virtualbox OSE, it's a VM program made by oracle, which is FOSS/GNU, or at least for the most part. I'm told it's very popular on Linux, and it's available in Ubuntu's Software Centre. Here's the website: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast