Thread: vsftpd and clients - 530

Beans

vsftpd and clients - 530

Hello all,

I recently built a little fileserver for personal use. When i don't need it, i put on standby, and i use wakeonlan. The system runs ubuntu 10.04.

vsftpd seems to work fine if i connect to it from my windows pc, using the ftp://192.168.1.10 and entering the login in the dialog box or just usernameassword before the ip.

However, i would prefer to mount the drive. Any program i try to log in on except windows explorer now returns error 530 access denied... I tried this using two utilities to mount as a drive, but even firefox can't connect .

I know for sure that the login is correct, and it seems i'm stuck with the worst way of accessing ftp right now .

Could anyone shed some light on why this seems to happen? I'm thinking it's some configuration in vsftpd, but i'm still very much a noob when it comes to anything linux - i can only do basic things in the console.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Turiko; March 9th, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clearer thread title

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: vsftpd and clients - 530

have you tried with an actual ftp client? use filezilla and see what errors it spits out

Beans

Re: vsftpd and clients - 530

This is what i get in filezilla

Antwoord: 530 Login incorrect.
    Fout: Fatale fout
    Fout: Kan niet verbinden met server

translated:
    response: 530 login incorrect.
    error: fatal error
    error: could not connect to server

Right after trying to connect with filezilla, i connected using windows explorer, and it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try SFTP

You may already have SFTP up and running. That is a lot easier to work with than FTP.

If you have OpenSSH server already on that machine, then you're all set and do not need FTP. It is probably easier to add the SSH server than to debug and secure FTP over SSL.