Thread: Intel Mac Mini doesn't Shut Down Properly

Beans

Intel Mac Mini doesn't Shut Down Properly

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my Intel Mac Mini, dual-booted with OSX Snow Leopard. I've been having a problem: the computer doesn't shut down all the way. I get the black screen with text describing the shutdown process, and eventually it says "halting now. system halted", but the computer doesn't turn off. It is the same for GUI shutdown or sudo shutdown now. Rebooting is the same, except it displays "rebooting now" instead of "halting now". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Intel Mac Mini doesn't Shut Down Properly

Same here....a 2 GHz machine and 1.83 GHz machine...Live CD does a proper shutdown, Server 11.10 doesn't.

Beans

There's probably some parameter that needs to be modified, but I'm not sure what. To get Ubuntu to boot properly, I replaced "quiet splash" with "acpi=off" in the grub boot parameters. This may be something similar.

Beans

Just installed Oneiric on my HP Compaq and it works fine, so it can't be a problem with my copy.

Beans

It doesn't need to physically turn off. It's safe to turn off if you got the halted message!

Beans

Thanks, that's a relief. It would be easier, though, if the machine turned off by itself. Any ideas as to how I should go about fixing it?

Beans

I too have had this problem with 11.10 previously, though a fresh install has fixed it.
    This may or may not help things, but have you tried using the "-h" flag in your shutdown command?
    sudo shutdown -h now

Beans

Yes, I tried that, but the results are the same. Ubuntu itself shuts down fine, but the computer doesn't, so I'm guessing it's some kind of driver problem. I had problems with airport, too, so it would make sense.