Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

I had originally posted this on MacRumors, but I thought I would post an Ubuntu version of it here:

Windows 95 on a USB drive
    Create a fully bootable Windows 95 installation, bootable on most modern computers
    Requires Ubuntu (Windows How-To available here)

Part 1: Getting Everything
    You must have:
    1. A CD of MS-DOS 6.22 (Brought to you by AllBootDisks.com!) (link)
    You can use a different version, but 6.22 is recommended.
    2. A CD of Windows 95 (legally obtained, of course)
    3. A blank CD
    4. A USB drive from 256 MB to 2 GB (You can use larger drives if you partition it, FAT only supports up to 2GB partitions).
    5. A computer capable of booting from a USB drive. Most computers made in the past 10 years can boot from a USB drive, it's just a matter of knowing how.

Part 2: Creating a MS-DOS 6.22 CD
    To make the USB drive bootable, we need to use tools FORMAT and SYS in MS-DOS 6.22.
    1. Launch Brasero Disk Burner. It should have come with your Ubuntu install.
    2. Select "Burn Image".
    3. Under "Select a disk image to write", click the button and locate the MS-DOS 6.22 image you should have downloaded in Part 1.
    4. Select the CD to burn it to and start burning.
    5. After it's done, simply close Brasero.

Part 3: Formatting your USB drive
    Now you have to format your USB drive as FAT16. Once you format it, MS-DOS can recognize the volume and format it.
    1. Open the Disk Utility, found in the System application category.
    2. Under "Devices" select your USB drive.
    3. Select Format Volume.
    4. Select FAT and enter a label.
    5. Click Start. If it gives you an alert, just continue.

You can now try to boot your computer from your blank CD. There are about a thousand ways to do this, so just try Google. If you see C:\>, then it has successfully booted.

Part 4: Making your USB drive bootable
    1. Boot from your MS-DOS CD.
    2. Determine what drive letter is your USB drive (e.g. - C: ). If you don't know, type C: and push ENTER.
    3. At C:>\, type FORMAT C: and press ENTER.
    4. It will ask you if you want to continue. Just push Y.
    5. When it is done, type SYS C: and press ENTER.
    6. When that's done, you can shut your computer down.

You can now try to boot your computer from your USB drive. There are about a thousand ways to do this, so just try Google. If you see C:\>, then it has successfully booted.

Part 5: Copying Windows 95 files
    Here you can boot back into good Ubuntu.
    1. Insert your Windows 95 CD into your computer.
    2. Make a new folder on your USB drive called, "WIN95".
    3. Copy all of the files from your Windows 95 CD to the WIN95 folder on your USB drive. Make sure one of the files is SETUP.EXE.

Part 6: Installing Windows
    1. Boot your computer from your USB drive again.
    2. When you see C:>\, type: CD WIN95 and press ENTER.
    3. Type: SETUP and press ENTER.
    4. Just go through the setup as normal, when it's done, just restart. Make sure your computer boots from USB when it restarts.

Sometimes when your start Windows 95, it may give you an alert that you have not enough memory when you actually have too much. Read on for the fix.

Part 6: Fixing Windows 95.............argh.......
    I will post this later....

This might have a couple of errors, I am still working on it. Feel free to comment!
    Last Edited: July 24, 2011
    Last edited by Corbin052198; July 24th, 2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed Part 4, Step 2.
    iMac G5 (Ubuntu 12.04 PPC)

Beans

Re: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

Woah, start me up, man!

I wonder how fast Windows 95 will run on a 2.53GHz Core i5 I'll have to try this the next time I get a USB drive (getting a 4GB one to replace a 2GB one I use for portable apps and stuff like that for my 18th b-day next month so when that happens I'll have a free USB drive to try this experiment on )
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post
    Woah, start me up, man!

I wonder how fast Windows 95 will run on a 2.53GHz Core i5 I'll have to try this the next time I get a USB drive (getting a 4GB one to replace a 2GB one I use for portable apps and stuff like that for my 18th b-day next month so when that happens I'll have a free USB drive to try this experiment on )
    Thanks - Oh, by the way, I just looked up the "Start Me up" ad on YouTube. I still like the screaming Windows 1.0 and Win XP commercials more, though,

It will only work with drives over 2 GB if yo have a 2 GB or lower partition on it. For example:

Partition #1: FAT16 - Windows 95 Stuff
    Partition #2: FAT32 - Other Stuff

Windows 95 can regconize FAT32 partitions, it just can't boot from them. From my knowledge.

Beans

I used to have Windows 95 and tbh would love to use it on real hardware again, or better yet, real hardware that's easily 15 billion times more powerful than what I ran Win95 on back in the '90s

And the Windows 1.0 commercial... best, commercial, ever. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! WINDOWS 1.0 HAS REVERSI!!! Except in Nebraska!
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro

I used to have Windows 95 and tbh would love to use it on real hardware again, or better yet, real hardware that's easily 15 billion times more powerful than what I ran Win95 on back in the '90s

And the Windows 1.0 commercial... best, commercial, ever. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! WINDOWS 1.0 HAS REVERSI!!! Except in Nebraska!
    I tried it on my Dad's Toshiba NB205 netbook, and it rocks so hard. It starts up in like 8 seconds and is much more responsive than the XP crap on that machine. I only use Notepad and DOS game emulators, but it runs all of them extremely well.

The only catch was that at first it gave me an error that there was not enough memory, when there was actually to much (1 GB). I looked up and all it took was editing adding a line in the system.ini file and it started normal. Apparently it limits Windows' memory to about 700 MB, but that's the equivalent of about 4 GB of memory in Ubuntu.

I'll try to add that to the tutorial tomorrow.

Beans

my 18th b-day next month
    real hardware that's easily 15 billion times more powerful than what I ran Win95 on back in the '90s
    [/s]

you've been using computers since you were 3-4 years old ????????

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Beans

is it possible to create a bootable USB disk with the likes of Vista or even XP ????????

i need to run either one of these for some college software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reverenddave View Post
    you've been using computers since you were 3-4 years old ????????

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM
    Yes, actually, my first PC ran MS-DOS (couldn't actually do anything with it though )

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

omg thanks for posting this! I really look forward to doing this when i get a usb optical drive for my netbook!
    Ive only been using computers seriously for the last 4 or 5 years so i never got a chance to see older stuff like this!
    Emachines em250 / 160GB Hard Drive / 1GB RAM / Intel Atom N270 / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Ubuntu 10.10

Toshiba Satellite C855D/ 60GB SSD & 500GB HDD/ 8GB RAM / AMD A10-4600M /
    Radeon HD 7660G / Ubuntu MATE 16.04 & Win 10

Moved to T n T.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast