Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless-less P dv6

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wireless-less P dv6

Thought that I'd share this, it may help.....

Found another thread, that reports that if you are using a kernel before 2.6.34 this problem occurs. It is reported that manually updating your kernel to 2.6.34 will cure the drops with all wireless cards. I'm not willing to verify this at this time because my ISP has oversold their DSL capablities and my connection sucks at this time. I guess I'm fortunate that I have a WET-11 to use in the interim.

Instructions for manually updating your kernel can be found @
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

You can determine your current kernel with uname -a

I'm not sure that will work for this, but I'm posting for your info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Seem to have solved mine by turning off the power saving mode of the card.
    "iwconfig" will tell you if it is on, disable with "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off". Assuming that your wireless is wlan0.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

thanks for the information, shriner. very much appreciated!

will now leave pardus and boot into u10.04 and try what you've suggested.
    i'll get back here with the results asap.

Beans
    Hidden!

Post Re: Wireless-less P dv6

hi shriner,

tried the iwconfig command with the results as can be seen in the attached file.

updated u10.04.2 (even with suggested updates) but to no avail.
    installed kernel is now 2.6.32-30 (<2.6.34) so that would be the last resort...

but since i want to use a lts version i hesitate on updating the kernel other then trough the official supported channels...

but i really appreciate your suggestions very much and learned a few new things too.

regards, owiknowi

edit: tried kademar with kernel 2.6.37 and wireless came up without a problem.
    so i'll give a kernel upgrade to >=2.6.34 a try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by owiknowi; March 15th, 2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

in the latest newsletter on distrowatch.com there's an interesting article written by jesse smith (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110328#qa) on this topic.

since i did not succeed in getting the intel wireless to work neither with u10.04.2 nor u10.10, i've switched to penguins who do support it (mandriva 2010.2, unity 2010.2, pardus kurumsal 2, etc).

another -maybe better- solution for me seems to avoid intel and switch to amd in the future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

another -maybe better- solution for me seems to avoid intel and switch to amd in the future?
    Does AMD make a wireless card?

The trouble is that 99% of all Intel wireless cards, including three in my house, work flawlessly. If the card works flawlessly with, for example, Mandriva, how is this an Intel problem?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

er, right, dunno... they should, i think... or not? yes: they should, definitely!

btw. never understood the closed source hardware troubles:
    1. i do get and need(!) a cd with drivers in order to make everything work with windos
    2. i can't however get (read: buy) one to make things work with an open source os

so it's indeed not just an intel problem: it goes way beyond just the chips bakery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

Quote Originally Posted by owiknowi View Post
    er, right, dunno... they should, i think... or not? yes: they should, definitely!

btw. never understood the closed source hardware troubles:
    1. i do get and need(!) a cd with drivers in order to make everything work with windos
    2. i can't however get (read: buy) one to make things work with an open source os

so it's indeed not just an intel problem: it goes way beyond just the chips bakery.
    If you have a proprietary, closed-source driver because you imagine you have trade secrets, you bind it up in a .exe that's only available on a CD if you buy the product.

Open source drivers are freely available for anyone to see and are therefor included in the kernel by default.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

nice point of view.

i'll switch myself off for the next 3.86 years and ponder on that a bit more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12