Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless-less P dv6

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Wireless-less P dv6

Have both U10.04.2 and U10.10 installed (separate partitions) on a HP dv6.
    After initial boot in the network manager applet wireless is available and even displays two wireless routers in the neighborhood.

After the first reboot the applet shows wireless in grey as 'Disconnected'.
    After updating through ehernet nothing changes.

It's a Ralink RT3090 chipset.

Extra information (gained from other installations where wireless does come up):
    Pardus 2 corporate provides the following information:
    - kernel driver rt2860
    - kernel module rt2860 sta

Mandirva needs the rt3060 driver to be installed in order to make wireless work.

Any help is much appreciated!

Btw. Neither with other Ubuntu derivatives or other tuxes (Red Hat) the wireless is working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless-less P dv6

The module rt2860sta is built in to the current 10.10 kernel. In some cases, the device is also claimed by conflicting drivers. Let's check a few things. Please open a terminal and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    lsmod | grep -e rt2 -e rt3
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Wireless-less P dv6

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    The module rt2860sta is built in to the current 10.10 kernel. In some cases, the device is also claimed by conflicting drivers. Let's check a few things. Please open a terminal and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    Thanks.
    thanks for your very quick response.
    first have to install U10.xx again (been very busy with all kinds of distro's :/ )

i'll get to it right away and get back to you asap with the output from the commands as you suggested (right after initial boot).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    Thanks.
    I'm sorry for the delay but as attachment the output from the two commands (unmodified installation ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS _64 kernel 2.6.32-28-generic).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

The module rt3090sta is loaded. Did it create an interface, wlan0 perhaps?
    Code:
    iwvonfig
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Post Re: Wireless-less P dv6

thanks again for your reply.
    hereby as requested the output from the two other commands (in a root terminal).

could it perhaps be an irq problem since there are many devices loaded (bluetooth, hdmi, vga port, network, 3x usb, etc.)?
    the hp dv6 is rather bloated with hw and is used for testing newer hardware with linux (7 different tuxes installed).

additional information:
    i did after the first test reduce some services by disabling them in 'startup applications preferences' (bluetooth manager, check for new hardware drivers, evolution alarm notifier, personal file sharing, remote desktop, ubuntu one, update notifier).
    on other computers all works well with these same settings.

Beans
    Distro

An interface, wlan0 is created. Let's do a bit more diagnostics:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -e rt3 -e wlan
    rfkill list all
    could it perhaps be an irq problem since there are many devices loaded (bluetooth, hdmi, vga port, network, 3x usb, etc.)
    I doubt it, but you could check for errors or warnings:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -e warn -e err

Beans
    Hidden!

Post Re: Wireless-less P dv6

thanks again for your help.
    attached you'll find the results of all suggested commands.

add 1. it says something about bluetooth but i've turned if off in 'startup applications'.

add 2. installed sabayon 5.5 as well and wireless networks were detected.

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Wireless-less HP dv6

still putting op a fight with ubuntu 10.xx_64 and the not functioning hp dv6 wireless.
    since in pardus kurumsal 2 (corporate) the wireless does come up and wireless is available, i'm trying to find out why.

amongst the drivers already described above also found the following packages installed:
    - atmel-firmware (for 76c50cx network chips)
    - b43-firmware
    - b43-fwcutter
    - crda (compliance daemon)
    - ifplugd
    - iw (nl80211-based conf. util.)
    - wireless-regdb
    - wireless-tools
    -wpa_supplicant
    - openvpn (although vpn stands for virtual private networks it seems to provide some other services too)

hope this info is of any use for those who understand what a penguin does in a computer...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

<<<<following closely as I just upgraded to 10.04 and am having a similar problem. I'm using a USB radio (Linksys WUSB-54) - wlan0 is created, etc....All was fine with 9.04, Now it looks like sometimes the radio is being powered down. A quick fix is to disable/re-enable networking, but I'd like to find a permanent solution.....watching.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast