Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome! + Where to find us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Kelly View Post
    What 11.04 release party's / gatherings are there for Aus?
    There are a few starting to be planned out on the mailing list. So far there is Perth and Brisbane showing interest. You can check out how to sign up or even just where to read the archives at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/MailingLists

Don't be shy, feel free to respond to those already started or start your own thread for your own location!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Welcome! + Where to find us!

Updated the op with some links, stuck the thread so and gave it an icon so more people (hopefully) see it.

If you have any questions feel free to post in this thread or in this forum.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu Development Release

please recruit me
    I'm from Indonesia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dhyonz View Post
    please recruit me
    I'm from Indonesia
    Hi, thanks for your interest in the Ubuntu-AU team. Unfortunately we are here to help promote Ubuntu within Australia. As you are in Indonesia I would suggest going to have a look at http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-id as that is the most appropriate Ubuntu LoCo for you to join.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Introducing myself...

Hi there,

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now and would say my knowledge is probably still reasonably novice/intermediate compared to others. On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe about 11 pi / 7 However I have been using computers since ~1994/1995, which started on the good/bad old IBM Dosshell and then Windows 3.11. By trade I am an IT Support Analyst and pretty good at solving problems, and/or researching the problem to find the answer. I work for a Law Firm and the support I provide is all Windows-based.

I have never met in person anyone else who uses Ubuntu or any other sort of Linux for that matter, so it would be good to get involved in an online community and even meet other Ubuntu users in person if the opportunity arises.

I would be happy to help out with displays here and there, pending other committments (wife, IT Support for family and friends, plus I'm the Webmaster and Newsletter Editor for the Bonsai Society of QLD), but given enough notice I can usually switch things around to make it work.

I'll fill out my bio if anyone wants to know more information about me.

Cheers
    mrshr3d (Clint)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Introducing myself...

Quote Originally Posted by mrshr3d View Post
    I have never met in person anyone else who uses Ubuntu or any other sort of Linux for that matter, so it would be good to get involved in an online community and even meet other Ubuntu users in person if the opportunity arises.
    You're in luck as you live in Brisbane which is undoubtedly the city for Linux related stuff and happenings, the current team leader is in Brisbane, but unfortunately you just missed out on linux.conf.au which is one of the biggest linux conferences in the world.

In terms of meeting other people there's various ubuntu au blogs get posted here: http://planet.ubuntu.org.au/ and every 6 months we have release parties, one of the biggest ones was the Brisbane 10.04 release party: http://ubuntu.org.au/brisbane-lucid-release-party but as far as my understanding goes they're still just as big.

Talking to other users is pretty easy, we're all in #ubuntu-au and #ubuntu-au-chat on freenode

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/IRC

Imo get Xchat and join the above channels, the in browser irc client isn't very good, once you're in you may need to wait a bit as we're not all talking all the time.

There's still more but for the time being welcome to the community
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Woot woot Aussie Team
    i am an Ubuntu nub please be patient and understanding because after all Professor John Atanasoff was once "just learning" to

Beans

Another Brisbane user here. I've worked in IT since 1985 and started out with Linux with Red hat 4, then Mandrake/Mandriva and the last few years Ubuntu. Have flip-flopped between using Linux and windows as my home system over the years and now making the change to Linux for good.

Work wise, I've worked in techie roles on proprietary systems, SCO UNIX, AT&T UNIX, all versions of Windows, even OS/2 for a while. The last 10 years I've managed teams running large-scale global windows platforms of around 11,000 servers

With a year since the last post to this thread, I'm wondering about how active the Ubuntu community is here in Oz...

Glenn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not a lot seems to be happening on this thread ... Australians here?

I'm in Adelaide and looking to maybe get something happening loco-wise or just a monthly meeting to tweak and talk Ubuntu. Don't know if that something exists already but anyone in Adelaide, let me know you exist ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not a lot seems to be happening on this thread ... Australians here?

I'm in Adelaide and looking to maybe get something happening loco-wise or just a monthly meeting to tweak and talk Ubuntu. Don't know if that something exists already but anyone in Adelaide, let me know you exist ...
    I know there are definitely a few lurking around. A good way to get to know them better might be to organise a release party. Details were sent to the mailing list on how easy it is to organise one in your area - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/007985.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12