Thread: Repair broken hinge on gazv5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Repair broken hinge on gazv5

During a road trip this weekend, our Gazelle (gazv5) got banged around a little in its suitcase. Yesterday it was creaking a little whenever it was opened or closed, and today one of the hinges popped out of its joint. It is the right hinge, and there are some wires visible behind it, too.

Are there instructions or a guide to repair damage like this? Or does anyone have any other advice? For now, we have an external monitor connected to it, but it's been an absolutely fantastic laptop and we'd like to return it to full working order!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drewbenn; March 8th, 2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: more general help request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Repair broken hinge on gazv5

That looks pretty bad; almost like the hinge is broken. We'll probably have to bring it in for repair. Please contact us at support...at...system76...dot...com. Go ahead and include the pictures, too, so we know what we're dealing with.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!

For some general information;
    First; When we fix ourselves we void warranties and sometimes pay extra to have fixed what we thought we could fix. Also, think static electricity and all those be careful type things.

Second I will say; I am not familiar with this Laptop and, never seen one except in pictures. But, I have fixed a few hinges on other Laptops and loosen/tighten some. So, everything I say is best taken with a grin of salt or maybe some salt on a lemon and Tequila.
    I would say the wires are important! Most likely this what connect the top to the bottom and being around a damaged hinge can cause real damage, so, be real careful if your opening and closing as to not pinch/damage the wire bundle.
    There is a cover there for cosmetics and it looks to just be popped out from the hinge breaking loose. So, when the hinge is fixed it should pop back in, but, any plastic when it bent or twisted may not get an as new perfect look. May even pop back out from time to time? The company would most likely just replace it to insure a respectable repair.
    Now the main problem is the hinge and getting to where it break from? I think laptops are built from the inside out with no idea how to get back to where we came from. So, it more think and look and find the screws and places to pry to unsnap what not screwed. "Probably" the speaker cover "may" snap out and there two screws to lift the keyboard up slowly and out, being "very" careful, the connector usually locks into the board and need to lift a little "thing-a-ma-jig" on one side to unplug. I not really need to try and explain this as it something you need to figure. Most likely the LCD may need moved and the top cover around the keyboard. Some companies provide in their support how to disassemble their laptops.
    Then it a matter of deciding how best to fix this. It may been pressed into the plastic of the bottom and it may be another 1/2 that is screwed to the plastic of the bottom. If this hinge is tight, maybe figuring out how to loosen a small amount can make your repair last, but, can also add more strain to the other hinge, so, more think and look. The problem is the fix? If the metal broke maybe a new hinge all it need and remove two screws, lid and bottom. If it broke from the plastic, J.B. Weld?? Hot Melt?? It a hard call without really seeing and touching. Heating metal and trying to melt it back into place usually does not work!
    That a little run down of what need to happen.
    Looking at what this laptop cost, I would maybe have to say; isantop provide your best answer, may be best to let them fix it and do it right! They have the knowledge to find their way back inside to either replace the hinge or what it broke from with the least amount of more damage.
    Last edited by Niedzwiedz; March 9th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
    I never lie, but, what I say, may not always be true! Store Laptop; HP G60-445DX. Home_brew Desktop Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe,AMD64 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM. Others!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I managed to lift the hinge and fit that protruding tab back into a slot that seemed designed to hold the tab, but when I did that I saw that the hinge appeared to have broken in two (a metal piece of the hinge had separated from a metal piece in the body of the laptop). @Niedzwiedz I don't have near the experience you do, so I went with your suggestion and directly contacted System76 Support to see about sending in the laptop to have them fix it.