Thread: Computer a bit slow

Beans

Computer a bit slow

I've been having this problem for a while now and have finally gotten around to trying to figure it out.

I've got a 3 year old Pangolin Performance, panp4n. For about a year or more it's seemed to have gotten slower. Whenever I shut it down or restart, there is some text that shows up for the briefest instant about shutting down a running process. I'm assuming that something is running in the background slowing stuff down but when I look at the system monitor I don't see any offenders. I suppose I may not be looking for the right thing, but I don't see anything hogging the cpu.

Any thoughts on what I should try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Computer a bit slow

You might try booting from a LiveCD, and seeing if you get the same message. What version of Ubuntu are you running?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I'll try using the live cd. I'm running ubuntu 10.04. Is there a way to actually read the message that comes up? It goes away too fast when restarting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you installed a lot of programs in 10.04? It may be that some of these have services that start and cause the computer to slow down. If these were installed gradually over the course of a long period of time, it would cause the computer to appear to slow down.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Sorry to leave this thread hanging for so long, other life things got in the way. In trying to load the live cd I discovered problems with my cd drive which I'll need to look at first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to test your computer before you get the cd drive working, you can use a live usb. It's faster than a cd too.
    Just use "start up disk creator" to make it.
    Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048